Close

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar

Tiamat 3D ULTRA - The Diamond Standard For filament ?

Now for something completely different.
    There is a dutch 3d filament company - Tiamet 3D- that has made a new product. It's a pla filament, mixed with industrial nano-diamonds called: ULTRA.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanodiamond
    They've sent out just 40 300gm sample reels to, as they put it: additive manufacturing industry influencers.
    I happen to be one of the 40 recipients of this new filament, which is pretty cool :-)
    Now like me you were probably thinking. Sparkly and something that will just shred the brass printing nozzle.
    But No !
    These are really really really tiny bits of diamond. The filament has an opalescent hue to it and because these diamond particles are so small, instead of wearing away your nozzle, they actually act as a lubricant and reduce wear and increase lifespan of nozzles. (I am now parapharsing tiamet's marketing literature). Also because these particles are so small, they integrate in the plastic matrix as it cools and actually make the filament stronger.
    Traditionally included material: metal powder, wood fibres etc actually interfere with the plastic matrix and actually make filaments much weaker.
    Ultra does feel really smooth.
    Tiamet claim they've successfully printed at 500mm/s. To put this into perspective. The fastest I regularly print is 150mm/s, and most filament can't take it. The average 3d printer rarely prints at more than 50-70mm/s,
    I think, if pushed, Alexa might get up to 200mm/s. I've not been able to do that with any filament I've tried in the past. So we'll try that :-)
    Here's an artsy video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ao33FV3wl2E&t=1s

So far I've printed a couple of bottle carrying clips. managed those at 200mm/s. Fastest I've ever run Alexa. The clips feel very solid and compared to a standard pla one, are noticeably stiffer and at least as flexible.
    This is probably the stiffest filament I've yet used. A flex test of the actual filament. Gies you about 4-5 full flexes before it breaks - about normal for good pla. So it's not brittle - just very hard.

Currently trying to get a clean iris box. Figured that would be a good test for how well it prints in comparison to my flashforge red (what i've made the boxes from in the past) also to test the lubricating aspects of the filament.
    Usually I use a little 3-in-1 oil on the boxes and they open and close really easily and smoothly.

After a chat with Reid Larson, found out that best printing temps are 220-240. high for pla and probably why I was initially having issues with the first layer for the box.

First box looks good. But won't turn.
    Currently printing second one at 50mm/s.
    Fingers crossed :-)

I'll add pictures later.
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 04-26-2018 at 08:43 AM.