Close

Looking for flexible and posable filament

I'm working on modeling an action figure, but I wanted the arms and legs to be something reminiscent of a Betty Spaghetty doll. So something that is flexible, but will stay in place if you move it. Are there any filaments that will do this? Or would I need some kind of armature base?

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    No, such materials do not exist.
    betty sphaghetti will have wire 'bones'.

So you can print with something like polyflex (sienoc flexible pla is my current favourite) and insert reasonably thick copper (other metals are available) wire into the part to make it stay in position once moved.
    Exactly how the commercial ones are made :-)

Just design with a void for the wire to go into.

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    No, such materials do not exist.
    betty sphaghetti will have wire 'bones'.

So you can print with something like polyflex (sienoc flexible pla is my current favourite) and insert reasonably thick copper (other metals are available) wire into the part to make it stay in position once moved.
    Exactly how the commercial ones are made :-)

Just design with a void for the wire to go into.
    Thank you! I'll definitely try it out

Quote Originally Posted by Subsea View Post
    I'm working on modeling an action figure, but I wanted the arms and legs to be something reminiscent of a Betty Spaghetty doll. So something that is flexible, but will stay in place if you move it. Are there any filaments that will do this? Or would I need some kind of armature base?
    Actually, there has medical grade tpu and tpe, It is very expensive. We have not found any manufacturer provided this type of filament. Most of flexible is tpu or tpe material.