Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Online 3d software apps are horrid

So i am building a RPi project, and the system is built but i need a housing for it.
    I used SketchUp's online modeling app...with great difficulty and made a somewhat rudimentary design.

Working on making the walls and a screw on lid for it. Minor tweaks here and there. If possible, would anyone be able to print me an acual copy once the design is finished? I would of course pay for materials used.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    I had hoped to have this built before my dad passed, but unfortunately it didnt go as I had hoped. So completing this is a big deal to me.

the site won't let me upload the .skp file. I did try to zip and rar it, but nothing even tho it is less than max allowed size. If i could email it to someone, or if there is some other way to upload it. Please let me know :/
    Last edited by 3Dn00b; 04-02-2018 at 10:00 PM. Reason: update

Staff Engineer
    SketchUp is possibly the single worst application one could use to create a model with the intention to print it on a 3D printer. You should have your model in STL format or OBJ format and use a 3D modeling program that has a focus on 3D printing.

Even TinkerCAD is a better program than SketchUp and will generate exactly the type of file needed for 3D printing. It's a bit easier to use than SketchUp for basic shapes.

If you're determined to stay with SketchUp, you can find a method to generate an STL file here:

https://airwolf3d.com/3d-printing-ti...l-3d-printing/

It's especially important to test the model generated by SketchUp for manifold and any other 3D printing failures. There are online 3D model testing sites.

Updated STL

Enclosure MK1.stl

Completed the walls and supports. Here is the STL.

I have modeling software somewhere, and Sketchup(while terrible) was the only one i could get to work until i could find my software. TurboCAD.

Staff Engineer
    I've pulled the STL file into Meshmixer (free) and immediately noted there are modules modeled in the box. Unless you want those printed, you'll want to pull them from the file sent to print. Also, the pillar in the center and the inside floor of the box have reversed normals. This means they are "inside out" and will cause print problems. There is also a narrow strip away from the cover and box that has reversed normals as well.

I didn't try to remove the modeled modules inside the box.

I can't advise you of the best way to put the normals back to normal, as I'm not a TurboCAD user.

Second Iteration

Enclosure Mk2.stl

I wasnt using TurboCAD yet.

Here is the remodeled enclosure. I couldnt remove the base without deleting other portion. Ended up completely rebuilding the whole enclosure being careful of deletions, and mindful of measurements.

PC is having issues downloading Meshmixer.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    you want use mm NOT inches.
    also have a look at Openscad - things like that are doable in minutes and it only outputs fully manifold printable models.

I also don't see any holes in the case for you to plug stuff into the board. is that deliberate ?

How big is it ? if convert directly from mm to inches its 11.7 inches by 6.26 by 2.14
    That's pretty big for a pi case.

Staff Engineer
    Enclosure MK2 has fewer problems, all of which seem to be the same type.

enclosure mk2 mm check.jpg

I'm hopeful that the above image can be clicked to enlarge in order for you to see the red lines indicating fail points. In Meshmixer, the automatic repair pretty much failed, by completely removing the corner pillars and all four walls. On close examination, I can see that there are overlaps of the bottom wall and the right wall, which creates a non-printable area within the corner. It appears at first that the lower wall and the left wall are separated, but they also have an internal overlap.

Are you working from an engineering drawing with dimensions and locations? If so, I would accept that information from you and create this box within OpenSCAD, a script driven descriptor type 3D modeling program. Because it is parametric, it is certain to create a manifold model ready for printing, unless there's an error in the script, of course.

I could attempt the creation of this part by guess-measuring from Meshmixer, but that's a royal pain and I'm not skilled enough in Fusion 360 to use that program to measure it.

If you intend in the future to create 3D models, Fusion 360 would be a good choice, as it is very powerful. Of course, with great power comes great responsibility. In this program, the responsibility is taking on the task to learn a complex piece of software!

Staff Engineer
    @Curious Aardvark, in an earlier post, there are electronic modules (more than one) mounted in the model. I suspect the dimensions you reference may be close, although I paid little attention to that aspect.

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    you want use mm NOT inches.
    also have a look at Openscad - things like that are doable in minutes and it only outputs fully manifold printable models.

I also don't see any holes in the case for you to plug stuff into the board. is that deliberate ?

How big is it ? if convert directly from mm to inches its 11.7 inches by 6.26 by 2.14
    That's pretty big for a pi case.
    L=5 1/2in
    W=6 1/4in
    H=1 13/16in

all measuring is using ruler and caliper measuring in Inches.
    As for holes, i want to build the enclosure first and then do the holes once the erros are ironed out.
    Last edited by 3Dn00b; 04-04-2018 at 11:41 AM.

trying to open the stl in Openscad but no luck

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast