Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Print starts above bed

I’m brand new to 3D with a Maker Select V2. First sample prints with PLA from the SD card were good. Next printed two parts we modeled, also good. Changed to PTEG filament and same prints from SD card want to start printing several mm above the bed. The bed is level and when homing all axes, everything looks good. What am I missing here?

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    what slicer are you using - and have you checked that the model is actually flat on the 'bed' in the slicer ?
    very easy to not realise there's a slight gap under the model.

I'm using Cura
    I printed the first two files with PLA, that were on the SD card OK. I then sliced the model we built and put it on the card. It loaded OK and printer OK from the card with PLA. I have not remover the card after writing the model to it. The only thing that has changed that I know of is the filament. I put on a spool of PETG and loaded the model. The head will do the dance then move out to the center of the bed and start extruding about ¾” if an inch above it. Same thing with either of the files that came on the card. I did set the timps for PTEG. I also tried pre-heating “quick settings” – ABS but still no go.

Cura
    That sounds like what is happening so I'll check that.
    I printed the first two files that were on the SD card OK. I then sliced the model we build and put it on the card. It loaded OK and printer OK from the card. I have not remover the card after writing the model to it. The only thing that has changed that I know of is the filament. I put on a spool of PETG and loaded the model. The head will do the dance then move out to the center of the bed and start extruding about ¾” if an inch above it. Same thing with either of the files that came on the card. I did set the timps for PTEG. I also tried pre-heating “quick settings” – ABS but still no go.

We’ve got a bit more information on the problem. The head starts printing .3mm above the bed according to the menu which looks about right. Does anybody know if there is some setting or calibration within the printer that could have changed? The first time that happened was when I set the bed temps and the print head to a higher temperature for PTEG. Nothing we attempt since that will lower the head to 0, not even when switching back to PLA and printing a sample file from the SD card. I read somewhere the SD card that came with the printer can also cause issues?

okay first thing.
    Don't keep changing all the settings on the printer it self.
    Once the printer is set up and calibrated, use the slicer to change everything.

I really don't like the current version of cura.
    Was looking at earlier versions recently on an old netbook and they were so much easier to use and better laid out you can scarcely believe how bad it's got.
    So have a look and see if you can find version 13 or 14.
    It'll probably help as it's much much easier to see what to change and change it.
    https://ultimaker.com/en/products/cura-software/list

Try a different version. They basically completely rewrote the user interface after version 15 and made it really bloody difficult to use. Weirdly version 2 comes after version 15. You get the impression the dutch guys at ultimaker are visiting their local 'cafe' a bit too often ;-)
    Sounds like you just need to adjust z offset by 0.2 or 0.3.mm

I changed the first layer in Cura to .1 and also tried .05 but it is still above the bed. I’ll try to find the earlier version.
    Thanks

I’m still not able to get the head down to print level. When the Z axes homes, it hits the limit switch before the head touches the bed which I assume is right but doesn’t make sense to me? The only way for the head to go lower is for the software to circumvent the limit on Z, right?

the limit switch is usually only fitted at the top of the z axis to stop it when it's at the top. never heard of a limit switch at the bottom.
    Think that could be you problem :-)

And you can use negative values for z offset - but you definitely shouldn't have a z limit switch at the printbed level.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast