Close

Sub 400$ printer

EDIT: Went for the wanhao 5s mini!

Cheers
    Last edited by eligri; 04-02-2018 at 08:13 AM.

I would suggest a kit... It takes a few hours to put together, but at the end you fully understand everything about your printer so any little problem that shows up you can deal with.
    The best machine for the money right now is the Folger Tech i3-2020 printer: https://folgertech.com/products/folg...3d-printer-kit

It is worth spending the extra $10 and getting a 20x4 LCD display.

It is one of the primary development machines for the Marlin 3D-Printing firmware.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    problem with the folgertech is that it's american and ships from america. Lots of shipping.
    Plus it's aVERY basic kit: does not include either a print bed or a display.

Of the ones you mentioned I'd personal go for the tevo tornado. Just some cool features and a decent build volume.

The he3d kits are also pretty good with quality components and free shipping to most countries: http://www.reprapmall.com/
    They even do a triple extruder model for $445

Guess it mainly depends why you want to upgrade ?

Got the knowledge from building the Anet (and oh god, all the repairs), so won't be an issue with repairs

Buying from America --> big shipping, and 15-25% in taxes.

But thanks for the tip!

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    problem with the folgertech is that it's american and ships from america. Lots of shipping.
    Plus it's aVERY basic kit: does not include either a print bed or a display.

Of the ones you mentioned I'd personal go for the tevo tornado. Just some cool features and a decent build volume.

The he3d kits are also pretty good with quality components and free shipping to most countries: http://www.reprapmall.com/
    They even do a triple extruder model for $445

Guess it mainly depends why you want to upgrade ?
    Would you say the Tornado is better than Wanhao Duplicator 5s mini? That printer seems to go for about 900$ online, so 350$ used seems pretty good. Although maybe it performs worse than the newer, but cheaper, Tevo Tornado?

I want to upgrade since the Anet A8 is quite the limited printer. No matter how much I add to it; it'll always be a budget printer. Also, larger print volume, better prints, quicker heating, etc etc. All nice to have

Cheers

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    the 5s is a completely different beast.
    And not an i3 clone, it's probably a better machine - my issue would be with it being used.
    Can't think of any reason to sell that cheap, other than it's got problems.

Got decent print volume and would be very easy to enclose if you wanted to.
    It's just the 'used' bit that would put me off.

That said the tevo machines look pretty good and get decent reviews.

I've never used an i3 - so you've got a better idea how they work than me.
    Currently contemplating getting one of the £99 kits that are on ebay now - just so i can play with an i3.
    Mind you I'm also looking at a 500mw 40x50cm laser engraver kit that's around the same price (got a 1000mw laser that should be a direct swap).
    I don't need the uk's chea[est i3 - I would like the engraver and could make money with it lol

Personally I'd recommend a delta. Love my he3d k200 to bits :-) Cheap and as long as you build it and get it working BEFORE pissing about with the firmware - you shouldn't have any issues. Mine is still using stock electronics and firmware.
    She'll print 0.4mm layer height at 150mm/s - and that's fast enough to watch the spool rotating in real time.
    She'll also do slow and detailed - even with the 0.5mm nozzle I use (on my second) you get very high detail levels.

I'm not sure about the k280 - to me the bowden tubes are just too long and that's going to cause issues.

It Just depends what you want the new machine to do better than the old one.

If you know the 5s pedigree and there's a genuine reason for selling - than get that.
    Otherwise, it depends entirely on what you want most from the new machine.

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    the 5s is a completely different beast.
    And not an i3 clone, it's probably a better machine - my issue would be with it being used.
    Can't think of any reason to sell that cheap, other than it's got problems.

Got decent print volume and would be very easy to enclose if you wanted to.
    It's just the 'used' bit that would put me off.

That said the tevo machines look pretty good and get decent reviews.

I've never used an i3 - so you've got a better idea how they work than me.
    Currently contemplating getting one of the £99 kits that are on ebay now - just so i can play with an i3.
    Mind you I'm also looking at a 500mw 40x50cm laser engraver kit that's around the same price (got a 1000mw laser that should be a direct swap).
    I don't need the uk's chea[est i3 - I would like the engraver and could make money with it lol

Personally I'd recommend a delta. Love my he3d k200 to bits :-) Cheap and as long as you build it and get it working BEFORE pissing about with the firmware - you shouldn't have any issues. Mine is still using stock electronics and firmware.
    She'll print 0.4mm layer height at 150mm/s - and that's fast enough to watch the spool rotating in real time.
    She'll also do slow and detailed - even with the 0.5mm nozzle I use (on my second) you get very high detail levels.

I'm not sure about the k280 - to me the bowden tubes are just too long and that's going to cause issues.

It Just depends what you want the new machine to do better than the old one.

If you know the 5s pedigree and there's a genuine reason for selling - than get that.
    Otherwise, it depends entirely on what you want most from the new machine.
    Bought the 5s mini after looking at it in person. Thanks for the tips!

Cheers
    Last edited by eligri; 04-02-2018 at 08:13 AM.