Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Follow Eddie On Twitter Add Eddie on Facebook Add Eddie on Google+ Add Eddie on Shapeways Add Eddie on Thingiverse

'New Matter' launching the MOD-t Affordable 3D Printer Soon via Crowdfunding Campaign

Looks like there will be a new crowdfunding campaign launching soon for a new 3D printer, called the MOD-t. It is from a company called 'New Matter', formerly known as IdeaShaper. They don't provide many details, but they are going to be "affordable". It should be interesting to see what the price will be, and if they try to compete price wise with the Micro3D printer that was just on Kickstarter.

Read more about this at http://3dprint.com/3413/new-matter-mod-t-3d-printer/

Engineer-in-Training
    They're a few weeks away from a crowdfunding campaign, and the best they have to show for their development is a rendering?

Staff Engineer
    A rendering that seems to have no y-axis and no reel for filament.

Either they really wanted this render to look clean, or they were lazy.

I'm sure they'll get millions and laugh all the way to Mexico.

Follow Eddie On Twitter Add Eddie on Facebook Add Eddie on Google+ Add Eddie on Shapeways Add Eddie on Thingiverse
    I've talked to some of the guys close to this company, and honestly I think they will be quite successful. Just my opinion though.

Quote Originally Posted by Feign View Post
    A rendering that seems to have no y-axis and no reel for filament.

Either they really wanted this render to look clean, or they were lazy.

I'm sure they'll get millions and laugh all the way to Mexico.
    Hi - I'm new to this forum. I've worked on the development of this printer, and I can assure you that the rendering is quite complete. Well, the filament spool is not shown, but the complete X-Y-Z mechanism is all there - it's just really minimal. I've done a fair amount of printing on a couple of their prototypes that are functionally equivalent but are not nearly as attractive as the rendering of the production design they used in their announcement. Unfortunately, I can't say much more until the crowdfunding campaign launches in a couple of weeks.

Lobo, what are you feelings about it? Will it be something we want to buy and use?

Staff Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by LoboCNC View Post
    Hi - I'm new to this forum. I've worked on the development of this printer, and I can assure you that the rendering is quite complete. Well, the filament spool is not shown, but the complete X-Y-Z mechanism is all there - it's just really minimal. I've done a fair amount of printing on a couple of their prototypes that are functionally equivalent but are not nearly as attractive as the rendering of the production design they used in their announcement. Unfortunately, I can't say much more until the crowdfunding campaign launches in a couple of weeks.
    My apologies for the snark earlier.

I'm a bit curious though, how it moves in the x-y axis... At first, I thought I saw the plate attached to a threaded rod across the middle of the enclosure, but now I see that it's a smooth rod, at least in the render, which makes less sense for how the plate could move on it in both x and y axis on it. For that matter, now that I look again, it looks like the middle bar in the Z axis is smooth too, is the smoothness of the apparent driving shafts intentional, or is it for the cleanliness of the render?

Quote Originally Posted by pardonme View Post
    Lobo, what are you feelings about it? Will it be something we want to buy and use?
    I hope you'll want to buy and use one. It's a very capable printer (ie, decent print speeds and good print quality) and they are aiming for really low pricing (they haven't settled on a final figure yet). The main advantage, though, is that it will be a very polished consumer device with much less of the fussing normally associated with 3D printers. In particular, they are working on a 3D marketplace that will essentially have pre-sliced objects that have been pre-tested with this particular printer, thus allowing the total novice to successfully print without having to know anything about the dozens of slicing parameters required for getting good results. (You'll also, of course, be able to design and slice your own objects if you have the know-how.)

Quote Originally Posted by Feign View Post
    My apologies for the snark earlier.

I'm a bit curious though, how it moves in the x-y axis... At first, I thought I saw the plate attached to a threaded rod across the middle of the enclosure, but now I see that it's a smooth rod, at least in the render, which makes less sense for how the plate could move on it in both x and y axis on it. For that matter, now that I look again, it looks like the middle bar in the Z axis is smooth too, is the smoothness of the apparent driving shafts intentional, or is it for the cleanliness of the render?
    No worries - I appreciate your skepticism. What you can't really see in the rendering is another rod under the build table in the Y direction. These X & Y rods are not actually smooth but are toothed splines that drive the table in X & Y. And the center Z rod is actually a threaded rod. (The rendering doesn't really have enough resolution to make out these details.)

You can just see the top of the hole for the y-axis rod immediately below the z-axis rod in the render.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast