Close

Controlling fill grain direction

Using the Replicator 2X in the lab and having difficulties. Prints won't stick without the rafts (I hate rafts) and I have printed several parts that look great but the rafts are fused to them and this is a critical no no for these parts. There's no better way to orient them, I suppose unless I flip them over and use a bunch of supports. I would rather not on a lot of these.

Currently trying to print with a raft to part offset of 0.2 mm after a 0.1 mm offset still fused and a 0.3 offset wouldn't lay the first layer correctly. Now it has dawned on me that no matter what way I try to orient the part on the build plate, that the grain direction of the first layer is always the same as the top of the raft, so no wonder I am having such a hard time dislodging it! But I can't see any way to change the direction of either and I'm pulling my hair out. Can anyone recommend a solution? I don't understand why the software wouldn't automatically have the first floor of the part go against the grain of the raft....

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    what material are you using that you need to use rafts ?
    Also bear in mind that rafts work because the printer uses a thick first layer.
    So you can just make your first layer thicker and print it slower and usually that'll work without having to use a raft.

Haven't needed one since I gave up on abs some years back.

Also what slicer are you using ?
    Simplify3d will let you adjust angle and direction of infill to anything you like. Probably has similiar functionality with rafts - but as I don't use them, don't have any experience with that aspect of s3d.