Close

coordinator could receive a minimum sentence

What is the 'Smart' way to deal with these kind of threads? Should the IP address automatically be banned along with the poster's user name?

I'm thinking we need the Bulletin Board System to help us with this problem.

Add Roberts_Clif on Thingiverse
    IP block would only be a temporary solution, as in my area the IP addresses are dynamic and changes from time to time.
    The poster's name being blocked would also be a temp solution as he can always create a new user id, then the IP block would help stop them from creating a new ID.

After reading through the board's features and commands. IP block seems to be the simplest choice as far as the board choices will allow.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    well to start with - don't sticky it - lol

Yeah... I was just seeing if anybody would notice....

We need better help from the bulletin board to handle this!

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    ip block is kind of pointless -most internet providers use dynamic ip addresses.
    So to change you just reboot your router and you're unblocked.
    If you block whole swathes of ip addresses you will block genuine members.

Pretty much the only way to avoid spam is for either an approval system (which we sort of have in the 'moderated posts' setup) or - what i do on slinging.org - manual signup.
    People email me and I create the user accounts. Been doing it for 4 years or so and in that time we've had one single spam post. And that's because I thought we had out first indonesian member. My fault :-)
    He didn't last long.

Given how much revenue has to be generated by advertising round here - I'm sure they could pay me enough to make it worth my to do manual sign ups :-)