Close

Student
    Add tophster on Thingiverse

Extrusion Problems with E3D Titan Aero CR-10S Upgrade

Hello,

I have just upgraded my CR-10S with a Titan Aero using E3D's Slimline stepper motor. After getting it all set up, adjusted so it was extruding well when using the extrude command I went to do a test print. I get this strange stringing pattern on my first layer. I attached a picture for you to see what I mean. What is this from? Under-extrusion? Any advice would be appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Student
    Add tophster on Thingiverse
    Wow what great tips!!! Thanks guys lol

Well i was able to get it to extrude more by upping the ESteps/mm. Now I am getting strange banding around the prints. I am not sure if I am still under extruding or now over extruding. It really seems to mess up when it starts having to retract. I can see this being a big issue with the direct extruder maybe spitting out the filament too far when retracting.

put the z axis up high enough so the filament can just free fall out the nozzle and extrude about 10-50mm.
    If it doesn't extrude as a single strand that just falls down on its own:
    1. If it is extruding but twirling into a ball back up to the nozzle, check the nozzle, the nozzle hole needs to be smooth, any wear and you create an extrude that is rough and the nozzle outlet shape will cause it to be uneven , causing the twisting , curling effect.
    2. Raise the temperature 5c at a time till the extrude is smooth.
    3. direct extruder need good cooling, filament might melt at 195c but it deforms at 90c so make sure that the filament is cool right before it hits the heat block. Often the cheap fans dont have enough air flow and heat creeps up into the drive mechanism.
    4, With the nozzle removed extrude filament and see if you can stop the filament from coming out of the hole where the nozzle mounts, you should have to really push to keep it from coming out.
    If you can easily stop the filament then the stepper motor current is too low or the gear doesn't have enough tension.

Add Roberts_Clif on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by Modelworks View Post
    put the z axis up high enough so the filament can just free fall out the nozzle and extrude about 10-50mm.
    If it doesn't extrude as a single strand that just falls down on its own:
    1. If it is extruding but twirling into a ball back up to the nozzle, check the nozzle, the nozzle hole needs to be smooth, any wear and you create an extrude that is rough and the nozzle outlet shape will cause it to be uneven , causing the twisting , curling effect.
    2. Raise the temperature 5c at a time till the extrude is smooth.
    3. direct extruder need good cooling, filament might melt at 195c but it deforms at 90c so make sure that the filament is cool right before it hits the heat block. Often the cheap fans dont have enough air flow and heat creeps up into the drive mechanism.
    4, With the nozzle removed extrude filament and see if you can stop the filament from coming out of the hole where the nozzle mounts, you should have to really push to keep it from coming out.
    If you can easily stop the filament then the stepper motor current is too low or the gear doesn't have enough tension.
    Finally information the average Person can grasp and understand.

Welcome Eastern North Carolina to 3D Print Board.Com forum from Eastern Washington