Close

Technician

X axis ringing question

This is on a maker select V2 running 50mm/sec. I noticed some extreme ringing so I went ahead and lowered X/Y Accel from 1000 to 800 and jerk from 20 to 8. While it did help I am still noticing some ringing. The bed is secured and not moving and the x axis belt seems tight but I don't know how tight it should be. I can pinch the two belt pieces and touch them but it isn't loose and I don't see any play per say. I still have the stock spring tensioner.

Here is the before/after changing accel and jerk.

Anyone have any insight?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Technician
    Another print, zoomed way in so it looks worse than the eye perceives. I notice mostly that the layers w/ the holes are a different shade and there is still ringing. Being as this occurs on all 4 sides I don't know what to make of this.

Add Roberts_Clif on Thingiverse
    My Opinion;

1st
    I would look at the Z-Axis coupler's to see if they spin true. (see if they wobble when they turn) this occurs because of the location of the tightening screws and the slack between lead-screw and coupler.
    I wrapped a single layer of electricians tape on the bottom of the Lead-screw then push the lead-screws into the coupler's, cutting all extruding tape and removing excess tape for looks.

2nd
    I would carefully look at your slicer's settings, as it appears to be missing small parts around the holes top and bottom.

3rd
    I would inspect your filament / filament temperature / layer speed / some layers seem to have under extruded areas.
    This could be as simple as the filament tangling while unwinding from the spool during print causing the under extruding.
    This happens more on smaller filament spool sizes and some manufactures.
    Last edited by Roberts_Clif; 01-31-2018 at 08:19 PM.

Technician
    Thank you, I don't see any perceptible run-out in those coupletrs but it is traveling ata fairly slow RPM. I am using repetier hosts embedded cura and it seems other prints that don't have holes and things in them seem fine. This issue seems to occur when a start/stop/change direction occurs. As you can see most of the issues are on those layers w/ holes. I have reduced x and y accel to 800 for now (from 1000) as well as jerk from 20 to 8 on my maker select. Much of the ringing is gone but if you look at the pic I just added, looking at the hole perimeters, and it's hard to see, there is a slight bulge in the layer thickness there like it almost over extruding as it changes direction. I thought maybe it was due to the slowed jerk setting but it also occurs in the stock 20 jerk setting (see first pic). I've added a new pic to show this a bit more clearly, this last pic is w/ a manually adjusted y axis belt integrated into the carrier block. I have the tension tight enough where I can just pinch the two belts together but I need to research optimal belt tension still. I tried to increase jerk some but keep accel reduced to 800 and the issue is still there. After closer inspection this same defect occurs on the stock jerk setting, it's just masked by the ringing. So what you see in this last pic is also in the one w/ the significant x axis ringing. I went ahead and rotated the part 90 degrees so the long face now on Y axis shows ringing even w/ 8 for jerk setting (I do have the z brace installed). That bulge at the ID of the hole still is there as well.

I've printed a temp tower and while it seemed to print best at 196 I wasn't happy w/ layer adhesion. I've been printing at 205 as of late w/ PLA and I'm happy w/ it for the most part. My layer speeds are fairly slow (50mm/s print speed, 45mm/s outer permiter speed, 55mm/s inner perimeter, 80mm/s infill speed, 150mm/sec travel speed)

Dave
    Last edited by TTVert; 02-01-2018 at 01:38 AM.

Add Roberts_Clif on Thingiverse
    What are your current Slicer's settings

Technician
    Basically medium speed defaults for cura embedded into repetier-host. Stock FW settings aside from reduced accell from 1000 to 800 and xjerk from 20 to 8 (Huge difference on x axis ringing)
    Last edited by TTVert; 02-01-2018 at 04:31 PM.

Technician
    so modifying the Y axis idle by supporting the right side got rid of my Y axis ringing. Still have the bulging around any indentation or hole so if anyone has input I'd appreciate it. Not hugely noticeable but it's there.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/de4s3en0se...25.15.jpg?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/viy970pznq...24.48.jpg?dl=0

Dave