Close

Technician

Steps required to make printable object ????

Gday All,

Ok as I have jumped into the deep end without any floatie`s, I need some simple ( and I mean SIMPLE ) descriptions of what is required to create a printable object.

For argument sake if using rhino 5, autodesk or blender to design my shape, once I am happy with the appearance and size do I have to select other components like rendering, running it through Rep3g, makerware etc etc.
    Oh and one last thing, the files that are downloadable off thingiverse, are they already all good to go, as in download one, send it to your printer and it should work or are there are adjustments / conversions to be made first ??.

Yep really stupid question but unless you ask you never learn.

Cheers
    Steve
    Last edited by lycan; 05-07-2014 at 09:39 PM.

Not stupid questions.

The sequence is:

1 Create the object in a CAD program.
    2. Save the CAD file in stl format. (Or download from Thingiverse, etc)
    3. Generate the Gcode by running the stl file through a slicer program such as Slic3r, or whatever floats your boat.
    4. Send the Gcode to the printer either via its on-board SD card reader, or via Pronterface on your PC.
    5. Load your filament and press the GO button
    6. Watched and be amazed!

The vast majority of stl files downloaded from Thingiverse have been printed by the designer, so the glitches have been removed and the stl files are ready to go.

OME

Technician
    Thanks heaps,

Did you get your printer alterations completed ?

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by old man emu View Post
    Not stupid questions.

The sequence is:

1 Create the object in a CAD program.
    2. Save the CAD file in stl format. (Or download from Thingiverse, etc)
    3. Generate the Gcode by running the stl file through a slicer program such as Slic3r, or whatever floats your boat.
    4. Send the Gcode to the printer either via its on-board SD card reader, or via Pronterface on your PC.
    5. Load your filament and press the GO button
    6. Watched and be amazed!

The vast majority of stl files downloaded from Thingiverse have been printed by the designer, so the glitches have been removed and the stl files are ready to go.

OME
    1. You can use every software like 3ds Max or Blender CAD isnt must
    2. Almoste every program have possibilty to export stl native or by plugins. STL is very old filetype
    3. Cura is much easier to set up for beggining and give and toolpatch view where You can check the design
    4. Agree
    5. Agree
    6. Its very hipnotizing be carefull !

Jacek