Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    If the original cap is replaced after each use AND the end is taped off it works over and over again. I actually have let it sit on my printer, after printing, all night and it did not dry out. Typically, a sharpie will cease to work when the cap is left off because the tip dries out and stops ink flow. since the tip is removed, and the filament goes through the internal ink cartridge, the sharpie is a lot less likely to stop working.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxy View Post
    I've been looking at my extuder. I think I can make a holder / guide to hold the Sharpie. It would sit right on top of where the filament disappears into the extruder (just before the filament gets to the hobbled bolt). And it would stay self-aligned because the filament would only let it wiggle so much at that point. If I do the holder / guide right the Sharpie should be able to wiggle back and forth as the extruder moves back and forth! I might be buying more White filament if this works out! Pictures coming soon!
    I ordered some white filament. can't wait to try it out! Please show pics of how white looks with color.

Quote Originally Posted by atoff View Post
    I had the same thought... it would probably be a one time use thing.

If you're really looking for that particular color for a print, not a bad idea, considering the quality looks pretty good, but I imagine it's going to create a mess.
    The only mess it has created with me was when I was first trying to figure it out. it looked like I had been finger painting!

I just finished a successful print. I used a Brown Sharpie which produces a light purple color when done with White Filament. I don't have clear filament. But I suspect that would work better than white filament. Anyway... This is a great break through!

I do have a whole bunch of black on my fingers and hands now... That is going to be a chore to get off.

I do have a whole bunch of black on my fingers and hands now... That is going to be a chore to get off.
    You will get better at handling. I rarely color my finger anymore.=)
    Last edited by Roxy; 05-08-2014 at 07:04 AM. Reason: Fixed Quote so the post looks correct

Very creative idea beebenutz, and a great article.

It looks like Hackaday has picked up this article from 3dprint.com. They ask the question:
    Besides the common Sharpie, there’s a slightly more interesting application of this technique of coloring 3D printer filament; as anyone who has ever been in a dorm room with a blacklight knows, you can use the dye inside a common highlighter to make some wicked cool UV-sensitive liquor bottles. Whether the ‘Sharpie technique’ works with highlighters or other markers is as yet unknown, but it does deserve at least a little experimentation.
    Has anyone tried this?

Technician
    Excellent idea,

My only immediate concern on this is whether or not any residual ink from coating the filament leaks into the injection nozzle and causes any burn on effect that could affect future prints, just a thought from a newbie.

Steve
    Last edited by lycan; 05-08-2014 at 08:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lycan View Post
    Excellent idea,

My only immediate concern on this is whether or not any residual ink from coating the filament leaks into the injection nozzle and causes any burn on effect that could affect future prints, just a thought from a newbie.

Steve
    I have not personally found the colorer to have any adverse effects on prints after coloring. The ink from the marker dries rather quickly. Before printing with a new color of filament I extrude about 75mm of filament through my hot-end in order to "purge" the old color from it. I just received my first batch of white colored PLA to test with the colorer. I will be testing it soon. I would expect that any trace amounts of residual ink will show itself best on white filament. I will post my results. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by beebenutz View Post
    I have not personally found the colorer to have any adverse effects on prints after coloring. The ink from the marker dries rather quickly. Before printing with a new color of filament I extrude about 75mm of filament through my hot-end in order to "purge" the old color from it. I just received my first batch of white colored PLA to test with the colorer. I will be testing it soon. I would expect that any trace amounts of residual ink will show itself best on white filament. I will post my results. Thanks!
    I'll edit this post in the morning... But the amount of ink from the Sharpie is down in the round off compared to the plastic flowing through the head. My bet is it is just going to flush clean.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast