Close

Help! Extruded filament not circular

I am trying to create my own filaments with a filabot extruder however I cannot seem to get a uniformly round filament. I am passing the filament into a DIY water bath and diameter is about 2.85mm x 3.5mm respectively and the filaments are unusable. Originally, without a water bath the filament is more round but I get diameters around 2.45mm, I assumed the polymer was drawing causing it to thin out which is why I am trying to cool it faster. There is about a 2 inch gap between the extruder nozzle and the water bath. Anyone have any experience or ideas?

Thanks!

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    what type of plastic ?
    Most common filaments should NOT be made wet as they will absorb water which makes them more brittle and reduces layer adhesion.

Sounds like you either need to extrude more slowly or get a larger diameter extrusion nozzle.

I am trying to make polycaprolactone filaments at 63 C. The only relevant thing I could find was https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEMuDoVdy5I which I was trying to emulate. I'll try without the water bath and lowering the temperature a few degrees.

Technologist
    CA, all filaments go through a water bath when they are made. They get extruded from a die, through a water bath to cool them and then drawn and spooled on the other side with variable speed/tension to control filament diameter. The water bath is to cool them quickly and help keep the diameter from changing once it's extruded.

As for the OP, home made filament extruders are not known for consistent, good quality filament. They are known for inconsistent and incorrect diameters, not making round filament and a number of other issues. My recommendation is to go with what makes the roundest filament and change your filament diameter in your slicer.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Ah okay - the extruders I've seen at tct - just extruded into air.
    Presumably just for demo purposes then.

Technologist
    Those were probably home user machines, what I was talking about is the factory machines filament manufacturers use. These setups are huge and wouldn't fit in a demo booth. Make magazine did a brief video/interview thing about it a while ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEkksADFjP8