Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Newbie needs advice

I've never owned a 3D printer before. Heck, I've never even USED one ... but I sure as heck WANT one. I've been watching YouTube videos, trying to learn as much as I can prior to purchase. I've set my sights on the Prusa I3 MK3. Does anyone have any thoughts on this printer?

Quote Originally Posted by TheQuestor View Post
    I've never owned a 3D printer before. Heck, I've never even USED one ... but I sure as heck WANT one. I've been watching YouTube videos, trying to learn as much as I can prior to purchase. I've set my sights on the Prusa I3 MK3. Does anyone have any thoughts on this printer?
    I did some serious investigation (hours of youtube watching on TOMs3D.org channel and others during the past weeks and I'm 100% sure you can't go wrong with the Prusa I3 MK3. It's almost fool proof. But it comes at a price.

I'm also considdering the Creality CR10s which also delivers good quality and la arger build size at a small price AND also the CETUS 3D (MKII) which has linear rails and prints verry well.

But the Prusa is top.

Add Roberts_Clif on Thingiverse
    After watching Videos of the 3D Printer I purchased, DIY 3D Printer and had it working in under 12hours. And was glad I had previously viewed the videos, some of the instructions have a lot to be desired.

Technologist
    What do you want the printer for? A hobby to tinker with and modify? A tool to prototype with? Something to print things for fun (this will very likely get boring fast)?

Can't really help much until you tell us this.

I want to do some prototyping. I also want to take some existing models & modify them. For instance, I've designed my own Star Trek ships. I want to take the 3D printed version of the ship, modify it to my specifications, and then print the 3D parts necessary to convert the kit from what it was to my own ship.

Technologist
    For prototyping, you wont need any bigger than the prusa's build volume, in fact less would do. Once you get bigger than that the parts stop being very practical because the material and process isn't particularly high strength.

For model making, it depends on how big you want the model to be. One thing to note is that a mendel style printer like the CR-10, especially a big one is either going to go slow and take forever (several day long prints), or leave you with nasty ringing artifacts which may be difficult, time consuming or impossible to remove without losing the details from the model. I'm assuming surface finish is important to you for the models.

The Hictops look good, but ... seeing as they're about the same price as the Prusa, I think I'll end up with the Prusa.

Quote Originally Posted by Trakyan View Post
    For prototyping, you wont need any bigger than the prusa's build volume, in fact less would do. Once you get bigger than that the parts stop being very practical because the material and process isn't particularly high strength.

For model making, it depends on how big you want the model to be. One thing to note is that a mendel style printer like the CR-10, especially a big one is either going to go slow and take forever (several day long prints), or leave you with nasty ringing artifacts which may be difficult, time consuming or impossible to remove without losing the details from the model. I'm assuming surface finish is important to you for the models.
    Would a big printer be slower than a small one when printing the same sized objects? If so, can you explain why? I'm still not decided but that would be a good argument for a smaller one.

Add Roberts_Clif on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by tuxdelux View Post
    Would a big printer be slower than a small one when printing the same sized objects?
    If so, can you explain why? I'm still not decided but that would be a good argument for a smaller one.
    Two printers of the same make and model may not print a the same speed theoretically. Though most printers will print the same model model at close to the same speed, if the same basic settings are the same (Print Speed, filament feed rate ect...)

I have two identical 3D Printers setting side by side, If I start the Same print at exactly the same time.
    One of my printers will finish the same 4 Hour Model 1 minute faster than the other.
    (Why is because the Crystal clock speeds may not be exactly the same)
    Last edited by Roberts_Clif; 01-09-2018 at 05:10 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast