Close

What's the main dangers of SLS powders?

I've heard several times from people on this forum and other places that SLS printers won't ever be in homes because they pose major safety concerns. Can someone go into detail as to what these concerns are? Are there fumes? Are there fire hazards? What exactly is the problem with SLS printers? They are used in manufacturing facilities, and I've seen them being used at trade shows. I'd think that if they were so dangerous, they would have them in use around thousands of people at trade shows.

Staff Engineer
    Any time there's an oxidizable powder that can get into the air, people get very nervous that it can cause a fuel air explosion. While technically true, the most flammable air-suspended powders you're likely to find are powdered sugar and flour, and somehow kitchens remain generally unexploded.

While plastic and metal powders are unplesant in the lungs, they aren't light enough to get into the air in the first place unless you have a kid throwing it around like confetti...

Super Moderator
    Inhalation of fine powder can cause lung damage.

Also, SLS printers require rather powerful lasers, especially ones capable of printing in metal which typically have lasers measured in the hundreds of watts, which can be a fire hazard. You can set paper on fire and scorch wood with a one watt laser. What do you think a 300W laser can do?

There have been numerous cases of explosions in Foxcom factories in China : the aluminium powder coming from sanding the iPad cases, if not vented / filtered / ... exploded. I've read so far the toll is over 50 people and 3 workshops.

Then, if powders are dangerous to inhale, even if it is a slightly unlikely event (but you can still get drafts, mishaps, ...) in the long run without proper casing / ventilation / filtering it is just too dangerous to sell to the wide public because the probability is high a dumb * will injure himself and sue you.

Yes, powder is very dangerous. I've seen case studies where it has been inhaled and caused significant lung damage. On top of this, there are not even enough studies out to see really how dangerous it can be.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse