Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Red face My bloat-free STL viewer

Hi fellow makers!

I often need to browse folders full of STLs, but the regular fabbing tools are just too cumbersome and slow for that. So I wrote a very fast STL viewer which allows to skip to the next file with the right arrow key.

You can download it at https://papas-best.com/stlviewer_en if you’re a 64-bit Windows user.

I hope it’s as useful to you as it is to me. Otherwise, drop me a note and I’ll try to enhance it!

Happy printing!

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    any chance of a 32 bit version ?

Thought I'd try it anyway. AVG said the portable file was infected with DRep - the installable one seems clean.
    You might want to check that.

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    any chance of a 32 bit version ?

Thought I'd try it anyway. AVG said the portable file was infected with DRep - the installable one seems clean.
    You might want to check that.
    Thanks for testing that!

Yup, that’s the reason that I didn’t upload the 32-bit version yet While virustotal reports the 64-bit versions clean (here and here – even for AVG), some anti-virus suites estimate the 32-bit version is infected (here and here). While that’s just heuristics instead of exact analysis (“the program is small and viruses are small as well, so it might be a virus”), I fear that it might scare people off or that Google would block my site. Here’s the links if you want to try anyway (remove the spaces to make them work):

ht tps://papas-best.com/downloads/stlviewer/stable/x86/Papas%20Best%20STL%20Viewer.msi
    ht tps://papas-best.com/downloads/stlviewer/stable/x86/Best%20STL%20Viewer.exe

There’s also a bug with the background color (white/pink) that I’m going to fix for the next release.

Works brilliantly - avg lets me download, runs a quick scan of the msi and says it's fine :-)

And yes please fix the colour change, it does get annoying.

But otherwise: fantastic.

Any chance of integrating it into right mouse click selection menu ?

Works brilliantly - avg lets me download, runs a quick scan of the msi and says it's fine :-)

But otherwise: fantastic.
    I’m very glad to hear that, thanks! I’ll fix the bug, of course.

You mean like, if you right-click an STL, you have a “preview” option in the menu, and selecting it opens the viewer? That’s absolutely possible (though I cannot foresee how it interacts with other STL software). It’ll take a little time to program it and integrate it into the installer, but I’ll report back when it’s done

Fixed, and the AV suites finally stopped classifying my 32-bit build as malware Here it is:
    Setup: http://papas-best.com/downloads/stlv...L%20Viewer.msi
    Portable: http://papas-best.com/downloads/stlv...L%20Viewer.exe

Some people didn’t like the scroll wheel direction, so I added an option to customize it. It was also suggested that colors should be remembered – this can now be done via menu.

I didn’t forget that, but I’m struggling with the Installer creating the correct registry keys. In the meantime, if you’re willing to edit the registry, here’s how you do it:
    1. open regedit, go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
    2. find the .stl folder
    3. the value (Default) has a name like netfabb.STL, papa_stl, or something alike
    4. now, still in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT, find a folder of that exact name
    5. it probably has childs with names like DefaultIcon, shell, ShellEx, etc.
    6. in the shell sub-folder, create a Preview folder next to open
    7. in Preview, create a sub-folder command
    8. in the (Default) value of command, enter
      "XXX" "%1"
      where XXX is the path to Best STL Viewer.exe (for me it’s A:\Program Files\Papa’s Best\STL Viewer\Best STL Viewer.exe)

Snapshot for clarity:
    reg97q1v.jpg
    It’s papa_stl in this example (because it’s my default program), but you really need to use the value from the .stl key.

Now you should have a Preview context menu which opens my STL Viewer. You might have to log off and on again in order to restart the Explorer.

Technologist
    Well, Just tried the 64 bit msi. AVG not too happy. It will let me known 194 minutes. I tried again, told AVG that papa was ok, and it said thanks for my opinion. I guess I dont control my computer anymore

I’m sorry to hear that!

I contacted AVG about the issue and I hope they resolve it. Is your AVG updated? According to virustotal, it should now be fine: https://www.virustotal.com/#/file/45...cd58/detection

I'll try the registry hack - used to messing about in the registry.
    Thanks for that :-)

And I should mention just how fast it is !
    Loads even fairly complicated stl's in under a second.
    Really impressive.

aardvark, I’m very glad to hear that. Spread the word!

mjf55, AVG answered:
    Hello,
    Thank you for contacting AVG.
    The detection by AVG was incorrect and was removed in a recent AVG update, please wait at least 24 hours.
    If the detection persists:
    1. Attach the screenshot of virus database:

• Open AVG > Menu > About

2. Attach the screenshot of the detection dialog which was displayedby AVG. In order to create the screenshot, please follow theinstructions in the link below.
    How to create a screenshot
    Thank you
    Best regards,

AVG Customer Care
    I.e. please update in 24 hours, and if the problem persists, you can take screenshots and I’ll forward them to AVG for further fixing!
    Last edited by Krishty; 11-27-2017 at 04:58 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast