Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Engineer-in-Training

Large 3D printer?

I already have a PowerSpec 3D Pro 2 (Flashforce Creater clone). I am not happy about the 9" x 6" x 6" build volume. I'm looking for a large 3D printer with build volume of at least 12" x 12" x 12". There are 3D printers with build volume of 500mm x 500mm x 500m (about 20" x 20" x 20") but I want a box-shaped frame with build platform that goes up and down, not the other kind with
    build platform that
    moves back and forth. Any suggestions?

Engineer
    Ready built ones are rather pricey (>$2K USD). IMO the Folger Tech FT5 R2 kit looks pretty good. I've not bought one, yet. The Tronxy X5S kit has a lot of folks working on it lately too, but after reading the blogs I get the impression those who have the X5S are busily replacing it piece, by piece, by piece... That can be a lot of fun, but not my preference.

Follow ralphzoontjens On Twitter Add ralphzoontjens on Facebook Add ralphzoontjens on Shapeways Add ralphzoontjens on Thingiverse
    You may want to take a look at the fantastic Wanhao Duplicator 5s.
    It is very reliable and great quality.
    I am looking into developing it into a dual, possibly triple extruder in the future.

Engineer-in-Training
    This is want I want for my large 3D printer:

Box-like frame so that I can enclose the machine if it's not already enclosed.
    Heated build platform that goes up and down instead of back and forth.
    24-volt electrical system.
    All-metal hothead.
    Direct-feed extruder instead of Bowden-feed.
    Build volume of 400mm x 400mm x 400mm or larger.
    Can use all kinds of filaments.

Engineer
    FT5 R2:
    (yes) Box-like frame so that I can enclose the machine if it's not already enclosed.

(yes) Heated build platform that goes up and down instead of back and forth.
    (yes Rev 2) 24-volt electrical system.
    (no) All-metal hothead.
    (yes) Direct-feed extruder instead of Bowden-feed.
    (no, it is 300x300x400) Build volume of 400mm x 400mm x 400mm or larger.
    (yes 245C Max hot end temp) Can use all kinds of filaments.
    Note: It is a kit!
    Last edited by DaveB; 11-04-2017 at 03:59 PM.

Take a look at RAISE3D N2+ it has a massive build volume, and has a fully enclosed body. cost is $3,600 us.

Engineer-in-Training
    I don't have $3,600 for a RAISE3D N2+ printer. The largest 3D printer (500mm x 500mm x 500mm) is the CR-10 Plus made by SainSmart selling for $1,000 but it doesn't have fully enclosed body. I'm not sure about making
    fully enclosed body.

Technologist
    The creality cr-10 plus is not the largest printer available, and the mendel style motion system is really a poor choice for a printer that size. Moving a 500x500 print bed in the y axis with nema 17s is not going to work well, at least not at any decent speed, and you'll get ringing artefacts. Heck, at that size even using nema 17s for the x axis which only moves the print head can be questionable, I'd suggest nema 23s.

If you're interested in building your own, most printers made with aluminium extrusions can easily be scaled up to the size you're wanting, just use longer (and thicker!) extrusions with some wider belts.

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    The Hyrel Hydra 340 meets all your needs except for 24v, although it comes fully assembled and tested, and with an enclosure heater. At $7500, it seems to be out of your price range. It costs more if you want the integral CO2 laser or 200C hotbed.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    the folgertech is probably the best bet.

All metal hotends are dirt cheap also.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast