Close

Engineer

Folger Tech FT5 R2 Large Format Printer

I'm looking at the Folger Tech FT5 R2 for use as a large format printer. Any Pro/Con suggestions? Better alternatives? No Deltas please (Sorry C.A.)

Engineer-in-Training
    It's a big printer for a great price,
    Some had no problem to get it do amazing prints, some had some more trouble, there were some problems with the power supply shorting out, and troublesome sliders, but I don't really know if the R2 version changed that.
    for me it was a great base to make an even bigger printer

Here is a forum for the Folger tech printers
    http://folgerforum.com/c/ft-5-large-scale-3d-printer
    and there is a great Facebook page, but you have to be approved to see any meaasges
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Folgertech3dPrinters/

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    looks okay.
    for the price not bad.
    might be worth looking at the tevo tornado as well.
    https://tevo3dprinterstore.com/produ...er-3d-printing
    same build volume, less building and claimed totally unrealistic print speed of 150mm/s - yeah right lol

So what have you got against deltas ?
    faster printing, better quality, less noise, less to go wrong, easier to build, smaller footprint, way more entertaining to watch, kits are cheap etc :-)

Don't underestimate the 'more entertaining to watch' either.
    Because of the speeeeed I tend to print at, even fairly large items can print fast enough to watch them grow in real time. It's addictive, way better than telly :-)
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 10-20-2017 at 06:24 AM.

Engineer
    I've developed a few prejudices regarding 3D printers: I don't like the ones which constantly move the build plate laterally, that just seems like it's begging for trouble. Add to that a tipsy tower with limited (if any) box structure and OMG a Bowden and it's a complete non-starter for me. That approach strikes me as akin to the dancing bear analysis. WRT Delta's, I might put a toe in the water with the new Monoprice Mini Delta once it's generally available. I love the price point on that little puppy, particularly as a surprisingly well featured, fully assembled printer. But honestly, I find the motion that Delta's make just too organic and it kinda creeps me out. TBD Prior to 3D printers I was always entranced by pen plotters, so there's some history there. The orthogonal stuff is just more engaging to me.

If there were a fully assembled large scale 3D printer that fit my (arguably narrow) requirements, and was under $1000, that'd be of interest to me, but I've not found any so far.

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    looks okay.
    for the price not bad.
    might be worth looking at the tevo tornado as well.
    https://tevo3dprinterstore.com/produ...er-3d-printing
    same build volume, less building and claimed totally unrealistic print speed of 150mm/s - yeah right lol

So what have you got against deltas ?
    faster printing, better quality, less noise, less to go wrong, easier to build, smaller footprint, way more entertaining to watch, kits are cheap etc :-)

Don't underestimate the 'more entertaining to watch' either.
    Because of the speeeeed I tend to print at, even fairly large items can print fast enough to watch them grow in real time. It's addictive, way better than telly :-)

I really don't know anything about filament printers. I'm only here because I want to make a DLP resin printer. And now I'm procrastinating getting my own work done, so I will post in your thread. I hope you don't mind .

from the videos I've seen on youtube, it seems to me that especially for a large format filament printer, two print heads would be nice. You can run a filament that dissolves in water on the second print head for your support material. Of course, perhaps you want or need to make things that don't really need support material or the easy removal of support material?

Just an idea.

Also, how hard is it to build your own?

T slot is pretty and all, but I'm guessing you could make it out of wood and it would be just as good? But with two print heads! And for half the price?

I don't know, some 2x4's, plywood, aluminum angle....are there some build logs of this?

Heck, 3 print heads, multiple colours (yes, I'm Canadian, that's how we spell it) and the option for dissolvable support material.

Like I said, I don't even own a filament printer, but if I was going to make a large format one, those are all things I would consider. If it comes to that, don't worry, I will be asking YOU for help!

I'm just trying to provoke some interesting thought. No offense intended. Good luck with your choice making.