Close

Free 3D scanning app for Tango - Scandy Pro

Hey everyone!

I want to let you know that my company, Scandy, recently released a free 3D scanning app, Scandy Pro on the Google Play store. We're getting higher quality object meshes than other 3D scanning Tango apps, and we'd love to know what you think.

Again, it's for Tango devices, so if you have a Phab 2 Pro, give it a crack and let us know what you like and what can be improved. It's ad-free, and we're always listening!

Thanks, again. Here's a link to the download page: http://scandy.link/2sfem1r

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    can you stand the phone in front of a turntable and scan an object that rotates, or is it the same as others where you have to move the phone round the object ?

If you can use it with a turntable, it might be worth getting a phab 2 pro as a scanner.

What sort of definition are you talking about ? ie: how small a detail can it pick up ?

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    can you stand the phone in front of a turntable and scan an object that rotates, or is it the same as others where you have to move the phone round the object ?

If you can use it with a turntable, it might be worth getting a phab 2 pro as a scanner.

What sort of definition are you talking about ? ie: how small a detail can it pick up ?
    We aren't targeting turntable scanning due to Tango's reliance on movement for tracking a scan. As far as detail goes, we've captured objects only a few inches big, and can go even smaller. That's a lot smaller than you'll find with other Tango apps.

so not a desktop scanner replacement. More for people and large objects.

Cheers for reply :-)

Does anyone know what happened to that 123dme app? I can't seem to find it anymore.

Autodesk pulled all their 123d family of products.
    real shame.

Is there a replacement or is it just gone?

Follow ralphzoontjens On Twitter Add ralphzoontjens on Facebook Add ralphzoontjens on Shapeways Add ralphzoontjens on Thingiverse
    Yessir, there is 3DF Zephyr which is quite good though a bit heavy on the processing.
    Also there is Agisoft Photoscan for a comparable pricing.
    Both these can do batch processing as well.
    One thing I notice is that you need many photos, very specific overcast lighting and the object needs to have a well visible matte texture (like limestone) to get good results.
    RealityCapture is another solution but requires a subscription license and NVidia GPU.
    I am waiting for Microsoft to come out with their 3D capture app.

whatever happened to the intel 3d cameras that were going to be in all tablets and phones ?
    Guess nobody adopted them :-(