Close

Student

Hello All & the quest for my first 3D-Printer...

Hello All!

Just registered today after reading along for quite a while.
    I am a 50yrs old electronics and computer engineer from Germany;-)
    So english is not my mother tongue - please be kind with rating my grammar...

Frequently I have the need for some nifty little parts to repair certain things on my oldtimer camping car (nearly 40yrs old;-).
    And those parts are not available anymore. So the idea of buying an 3D-Printer grew in my mind...

After doing some research I concluded to buy the Ultimaker 3.
    But... Then I read on... And now I am quite unsure.

Does it really make sense to spend 3,5k€ on an Ultimaker 3?
    Will I really get that much value for the money compared to something like a CR-10 or one of those cool looking Delta's (e.g. Tevo or He3l K280)?
    (must admitt I really like the design of Deltas but that should be a minor aspect)

So I wonder whether you guys can help me with your experience?

Is the print quality and speed of the Ultimaker 3 and the ease of use worth the money?
    Do I really need the ability to print with PVA-support?

Or can one get "close to" results with one of the mentioned printers as well?

I certainly will be able to build a printer from a kit - as long as the material is of good quality.
    From past experience with Heli-kits from China I know thats not always the case...?!?

What is important for me - I would like to be able to use many different materials,
    esp. Nylon will be very useful for the things I want to print. So a heated bed is mandatory, I guess.

Thanky for your feedback/thoughts/suggestions!

Stay well,
    Tinker

Technician
    Not sure exactly what you have in mind but there are many great 3D printers that cost ~ 70-80% less than the Util, produce great output and are pretty much plug and play with standard slicers like Simplify 3D. Qidi, Flashforge are a couple... then there is this Bibo dual extrude model I saw that includes a built in laser etcher. I'd start first with one of these and see how they work for you. Just my opinion...

Technologist
    I will echo raylo32's answer. I do not see the need to spend so much, especially on your first. I just completed build of a delta printer. HE3D K200 with heated bed, less that 250 dollars with heated bed. With the posted videos and some guidance from Curious Aardvark, it was not hard at all and it produces very nice prints. Here is the link on hes ( and my ) build experience. I HIGHLY recommend it, even as a first printer, considering your background. http://3dprintboard.com/showthread.p...t-a-delta-kit-)

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    no an ultimaker isn't the way to go.
    Way over priced

Printing nylon requires an actual heated build volume - not just a heated bed.
    It's one of the most difficult materials to use in an fdm printer. So an actively heated - rather than just enclosed - build volume is a very good idea.
    It would also be a good idea to have a high temperature hot-end as it prints at a pretty high temperature.
    For many purposes pet-g is almost as good and much easier to work with.

Quality wise, there are many printers around that produce as good a quality as the ultimaker, for a fraction the price.

Kit printers are all well and good - but as you generally need to make some of your own parts, I'd pretty much always recommend them as a second printer.

Start with something like the monoprice or qidi: https://www.amazon.de/QIDI-TECHNOLOG...&keywords=qidi

Then once you've got some experience a kit like the he3d k280 or k200 delta is a very good option for a second machine.
    Or - my choice for a more expensive kit - a tevo little monster :-)

You could probably print nylon in the qidi - but might need some extra insulation and heating.

I would always recommend people start with a ready built printer. That way all you are dealing with is learning the art of 3d printing. rather than wondering whether the machine works properly.
    Even something as cheap as the monoprice maker select - is a good start. https://www.amazon.de/Monoprice-Prin...oprice+drucker

Student
    Hello again,

been somewhat busy, sorry for late reply!

So after looking at some actual machines I opted for one of the more expensive solutions - Raise3D N2.
    Be warned - it's a huge and quite heavy machine. When it arrived I had some trouble to get it into my appartment;-)

Already installed an Bondtech Upgrade and it prints quite well.
    Not without some little issues but overall it seems to be a good machine.

It is very nicely integrated with the PC, can upload via WLAN and remote control the printer - nice.
    First test prints even with ABS look really good. No Warping so far. The closed housing may helps here;-)
    The support via the Raise3D forum is quite good so far.

Now I am looking to find some infos regarding "common" 3D-Printing-Issues.
    Is there something "with pictures" possibly available in the net?
    Any recommendation about "good readings" are highly wellcome.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend & have fun!

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    youtube - thousands of videos on those exact topics :-)

And - wow - not cheap, but well built units. Good build volume as well. Not sure about that price tag though - I'd have had the bnc3d sigma for that money.
    https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...rinting+issues

Technologist
    Not sure if you have seen this, but this is always a good read for print quality issues https://www.simplify3d.com/support/p...oubleshooting/

Congratulations on you new printer..

Student
    Thanks, especially for the link to simplify3d. Actually I stumbled across that already and yes very good reading!
    Still experimenting and doing test prints.
    I guess the usual problems a beginner comes across;-)

bnc3d sigma - did take a look but must admit it was not on my list... I like the system of two independent print heads.

We spent 1/10 of that on a XYZ Davinci (on sale), removed the cartridge thing on top and installed Repetier Host and now use $12 1kg spools... It's fine.

Technologist
    Quote Originally Posted by xenwarps View Post
    We spent 1/10 of that on a XYZ Davinci (on sale), removed the cartridge thing on top and installed Repetier Host and now use $12 1kg spools... It's fine.
    Yeah, but I doubt the quality is the same. (having a davinci myself, I feel I can make that statement and not just bash xyzprinting )