Close

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Technologist
    Oh I do have lots of spare USB cable, just not quite sure how to wire it to BLtouch after I cut it.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    well ausb cable has 4 wires. 2 for power and 2 for data.
    Just check which are which with a multimeter and wire them to the wires on the bl touch.
    Sensible thing would be to dismantal a usb extender and wire the socket up to the bltouch and you could then just plug a usb cable in when you wanted to use it.

Technologist
    Some USB cables even just have 2 wires, and even if it has four they are color coded. A quick google search should tell you which is which. Red/black are usually positive and negative while white/green are data. I believe the occasional USB cable will have a blue instead of a black and maybe a brown somewhere (from the ones I've taken apart). In any case, a quick google of USB cable wires (insert the colors you have here) should clear things up.

Technologist
    Thanks guys, appreciate the help, I knew red was power usually. The good thing is, and I strongly suggest you buy from Spool3d if you're in Canada, super fast shipping, and as long as you provide proof, like I did, no questions asked, replacement sent, got it today, then sent back the defective until, and so far *crosses fingers for the unknownth time now xD) it's working. Bltouch retracting and probing properly, hopefully will finish set up and start print this weekend!

Technologist
    And the problem continues.... Last time I buy from this guy. I solved my extruder issues (hopefully), which was causing partial jams, and it was me being an idiot. The clone came with also a 3.0 filament part and 2 1.75mm, and I didn't check and that was part of the problem xD installed the correct and adjusted the tension and I don't hear the clicking anymore, at least it's so silent I have to put my ear right onto the clone (literally) to hear like a barely audible click (almost non existent). and it's so far seem to be well. So hopefully that seems to be fine now, but I couldn't finish the print because of another issue, but it does seem to be hardware related.70% of the cube test print through when I noticed a weird smell, I thought it was the filament, but noticed the smell was coming out of my power supply. No smoke yet, but I immediately stopped the print and once it cooled down, unplugged the power supply. Power supplies shouldn't make a smell right? This is the last time I buy from that aliexpress supplier again....

So will this power supply do and be safe? From the reviews it seems like it (has to be amazon.ca since I live in Canada):

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01HTF1Q06/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1WG60CSCAVTUM&psc=1

Technologist
    What sort of smell was it? Burning or o zone? Both are bad but it helps diagnose the issue. It's concerning in any case, but that's the dice you roll with import components. That power supply seems like it will do, but check how much current your set up will draw and compare that to the max it can supply. Most printers only need 250-300 watts so this should be plenty. Also, that is likely just another import (from china) power supply, I couldn't find any reference to the company name by googling and it looks like the standard models that come out of china. Scrolling through the item description you'll start to see the broken English we all know and love from aliexpress listings. I'm not saying don't buy it, I think it'll do fine (what's the odd of two duds in a row?), but if you're buying it to avoid import parts then look somewhere else.

Technologist
    Hmm okay thanks Trakyan, it was my mother who smelled it and I went in to smell it, no burning, more like plastic smelling? yeah I would say ozone, so I'm wondering if my mother was overreacting and maybe it was just the new smell, however it did suddenly shut down mid print before so I'm not sure... Yeah i'll buy that and see how it goes, thanks.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234