Close

Rough base on every print from raft

Hello and good day to all.
    I am using a MakerBot Replicator+ in my classroom for student printing. We are getting to a stage where the prototypes need to look good and be presentable.
    However... the first printed layer after the raft is always rough. I peel off raft and it is really rough. All other sides seem to be fairly smooth. Below are the pics of the latest object. The one on the left is the rough one.
    I am not sure of what settings I need to change, but I am using the Makerbot Desktop software. Thoughts?
    IMG_00004.jpgIMG_00005.jpg

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Don't use a raft.
    kind of obvious.
    Rafts are completely unnecessary if you have your bed properly levelled.

Follow ralphzoontjens On Twitter Add ralphzoontjens on Facebook Add ralphzoontjens on Shapeways Add ralphzoontjens on Thingiverse
    Just print it without a raft and use a thin metal spatula to peel it off of the bed.
    For prints with a hollow area in the bottom, like bottles or wine glasses, if you want it to stay smooth I recommend building in your own supports that touch the model at points rather than lines for easy breakaway.

Follow ralphzoontjens On Twitter Add ralphzoontjens on Facebook Add ralphzoontjens on Shapeways Add ralphzoontjens on Thingiverse
    This was just released earlier this year, PolySmooth + PolySher, http://www.polymaker.com/shop/polysmoothpolysher/
    But it seems the same to me as ABS+acetone cloud vapor smoothing. Does anyone have any experience?

Engineer-in-Training iDig3Dprinting's Avatar
    Follow iDig3Dprinting On Twitter Add iDig3Dprinting on Facebook Add iDig3Dprinting on Google+ Add iDig3Dprinting on Thingiverse
    Concur with Curious Aardvark, Rafts are generally not needed. What material are you using?

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphzoontjens View Post
    This was just released earlier this year, PolySmooth + PolySher, http://www.polymaker.com/shop/polysmoothpolysher/
    But it seems the same to me as ABS+acetone cloud vapor smoothing. Does anyone have any experience?
    have you turned into a sales bot/spammer ? It was released last year.
    All your recent posts seem to be linking to a sales of some kind. Plus what has polymakers polysmooth got to do with this thread ?