Close

Ramps and CNC Milling

Hello,

I am new to this community and I have just finished the hardware-work on my CNC-Milling mashine/3D- Printer.
    So i will go on with the electronics.

My issue is to print and mill with Arduino Ramps 1.4. .

Has somebody any expiriences with that?
    I have seen some possibilities to mill with Repetierhost and Skeinforge but there is no documentation how to do it.

If it is not possible, i would have also the choice to mill with an cheap cnc break-out interface from Ebay.

greetz sonni

I'd love to see photos of this machine. It's a milling machine and 3D Printer in one?

Technician
    I'm far from being an expert but did you consider Marlin?
    And yes I like to see this too ;o)

Engineer-in-Training
    There's some RAMPS CNC machines around, I've been thinking about making one of these: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:49484

Should be good for light work, routing fiberglass laminate, acrylic, plywood, etc.. I haven't done much research, but I think one of the drawbacks of using a RAMPs to control CNC is that it has lower precision, it moves the spindle in very tiny straight segments, not proper curves; although, IIRC, there has been some work to make the Marlin firmware able to work with curves.

How do these work? Do they mill, and then switch the head to an extruder and 3D print? I'm sorry, I've never seen a machine like this before.

Staff Engineer
    Most likely the opposite, quickly laying down a layer with a thick wall size and then switching to the mill to clean up the outside edge and make it more precicely fit the layer below it. From what I understand, it makes for a rather fast print speed on big parts with lots of fill.

In general, it's kind of impractical for home or office printers, which is why the method isn't often seen.

I honestly cannot see why a RAMPS board cannot be used to run a home CNC machine. I intend to build a much larger 3D printer in the future after I conquer my Prusa i3. I have NEMA 23 steppers from a CNC machine I built a few years ago. I'm sure that the RAMPS will be OK as it is the stepper driver modules on the RAMPS board that control the actual powering of the steppers.

Old Man Emu

I will post the fotos in an few day´s , when i finished the electronic rag.

My intention was, to build a multifunktional machine to mill aluminium and Print 3D .
    The Head is changeable . cnc motor or Extruder

I use2 x 1nm for y axis,
    2x3 nm for x axis,
    2x 1 nm for z axis

the speed is incredible.

I ve build the spindelmotor by my own from a brushless c6354er, with about 2kw and a er20 collet
    the extruder is a gregs extruder .

the printface is 700x370x800 (xyz).

i use htd 3m 15mm belts and 15z pulleys. The Frame is made of Aluinium system profiles

I like your idea feign! I have never though about that but it would speed up my printings.

greetz sonni