Close

Follow Eddie On Twitter Add Eddie on Facebook Add Eddie on Google+ Add Eddie on Shapeways Add Eddie on Thingiverse

2014 3D Printing Predictions for end of year

3DPrint.com's Brian Krassenstein has come up with some predictions for the 3D printing industry by the end of this year. Some of them may be a little far reaching, while others seem bound to come true. Be sure to read her predictions at http://3dprint.com/756/3d-printing-predictions-2014/

And let us know which you think will or will not come true.

Also, let's hear your predictions!

I doubt we will see 3D Printers in most classroom in the next 2-3 years. It's just too expensive, and too complicated to teach faculty how to use them. I'd say a more accurate prediction would be in the next 10 years. HP will introduce 3D printers for manufacturing, not targeted towards consumers (my prediction). I don't think Google or Apple will acquire any 3D printing companies, but again I wouldn't have guessed google would have acquired Android either.

Technician
    Follow JSenior On Twitter Add JSenior on Facebook
    Maybe I'll be proved wrong, but I really don't see consumer level DMLS take off/become possible any-time soon.

Even at the professional level the printers still are a way off being simply press and go, and they've been developing them for 20+ years.

You also have to have a look at the cost of the lasers required. A 200 Watt fibre laser is probably $50k?

Wax printing should be where the focus is. You can get far higher quality results buy printing the wax and vacuum casting it, and it's cheaper/easier to achieve.

Maybe I'll be proved wrong, but I really don't see consumer level DMLS take off/become possible any-time soon.
    I tend to agree. I think we are a good 5 years away from seeing DMLS take off for consumers.

Technician
    I think we will see some big announcements not only for HP, but also from 3D systems and Stratasys, as they try and keep up with HP.

On top of this, I think we could see something from Cubify, and Ultimaker. I doubt we will see anything from MakerBot before the end of the year. The 5th Gen stuff seems to be getting pushed pretty hard, and all of the 5th gen printers aren't even available yet.