Close

New to 3D Printing and Looking for the Right Fit

I am new to 3D printing and am looking to build a product (1" x 1" x 1.5") that I will be selling as part of a larger product. The larger product already exists and I just need to 3D print a piece that I will assemble into the larger product. The part I will 3D print will need to be able to get wet on occasion and may be thrown into a dishwasher once a month. I will need to print 1-2 a day to start with.

Even though the size of my part is rather small, I would like a printer that gives me a bit of space to do larger projects, just in case something else comes up.

Before I spend a lot of money on a high quality 3D printer I want to make sure my product will sell in the market place, so I am looking to spend $200-$500. I am an electrical engineer and very handy so building and tweaking isn't a big deal, but I want something somewhat out of the box, requiring only assembly. I don't want to mess with getting open source software to make my system function or do a custom build from a parts list.

After reading some threads I somewhat narrowed down to the HICTOP Desktop Prusa I3 (3DP-11-ATL). Is there something else I should look at?

Once I get a printer, what else will I need? CAD software? Filament? Anything else? Thanks for the help.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    pet-g is probably what you need filament wise. Has no problem with detergents or temps inside a standard dishwasher. Plus it's the best for making watertight parts.

Cad wise - have alook at openscad. Much easier to use that it first appears and perfect for parts that need to be very precise.

Printer wise - I'd be inclined to go for the monoprice mini.
    But if you want some thing larger most of the mid-range i3 kits are pretty much of a muchness.

Thanks for the responses so far. I have no issues whatsoever getting and using 3D CAD software. I use CAD software at work from time to time, so learning a free software is no big deal. I am just looking for recommendations is all.

Maybe a better question to ask would be, outside of the printer, filament, and software, what else do I need in order to be able to get going on 3D printing?

Also, if an enclosure is needed, is there an enclosed printer in the price range I am looking for that would be recommended or would building an enclosure around an open printer be better?
    Last edited by kgrigio; 09-15-2017 at 06:12 AM.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Also have alook at the flsun cube: https://www.amazon.com/Leveling-Cube...sun+3d+printer

I'd go for one of these over an i3 any day of the week.
    Any setup where the print head does all the x&y movement will be that bit more precise and faster than one where the bed moves around as well as the head. I reckon ;-)
    A full cube frame gives better all round stability.

It's a good machine - no idea why people go for the i3 setup more than this kind.

Me I'm different again - full on delta convert - but would recommend that as a second machine rather than a first :-)
    Cartesian setup's are just easier to start with.