Close

Student

making Resevoirs (DIY acrylic aquariums?)

Hello,

I was curious how well DIY acrylic aquarium instructions would work for making inexpensive reservoirs for The Peachy Printer?

in smaller sizes I would guess they would potentially the most square?

example instructions
    http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2007/7/diy

GARF's build your own custom tank page
    http://www.garf.org/tank/buildtank.asp

just have to figure out prices of acrylic now ... in appropriate thicknesses to reservoir size

In small size, your better of using 250 hockey card holder or cars case (I dont know the name, but those for showing car in shelf?).

Staff Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by nka View Post
    In small size, your better of using 250 hockey card holder or cars case (I dont know the name, but those for showing car in shelf?).
    Of course, in the US we call them Baseball card holders, so it took me a moment to get what you meant.

On an entirely different direction, a straight walled measuring cup (that you don't plan on using for food!) would probably be a good quick and easy first choice as well for easy calibration.

in fact, I should have said "collection card", I think it's international!

And yes, wall need to be straight, else calibration wont make sens.

Engineer-in-Training
    Technically, the Peachy team has said that slightly tapered walls do not seem to affect printing small objects very much. I had considered making acrylic reservoirs, but the acrylic is hard to cut without shattering it, and it's expensive. I found baseball card holders to be too cheap to be replaced, so far. Everyone is interested in good reservoirs, though, so keep us updated. Do not use ABS, though, it reacts with the resin.

If you're worried about acrylic shattering while being cut, clamp a piece of scrap wood on top of the cut line to reduce the vibrations being transferred to the acrylic. i used to cut acrylic all the time and never had it shatter on me

Engineer-in-Training
    Oh my god, that is the best thing in the universe. Thanks Aztecphoenix! Great tip!