Close

First layer quality problem

Hi,

I'm having a problem with getting a clean first layer on my Prusa i3 clone.

The first layer is not going doing cleanly". It has bumps and ripples. I printed one layer, stopped it, and took pictures of the top and bottom of the first layer (below). Otherwise, prints are good - if I let the prints complete, I get good adhesion (sometimes too good and hard to peel off).

I’m running PLA from various sources (Playphab, Hatchbox, etc.), 0.3mm nozzle. I've tried different bed temperatures between 45C and 60C with no difference. I'm running the printhead at 188C (which gives me great results otherwise as far as bridging, stringing, layer to layer adhesion, etc.). But I've also tried higher temps with no difference. This sample was printed on Buildtak, but I have the same issue on glass with elmer’s glue.

Any ideas what causes this and how to correct it?

Topside.jpg

Bottomside2.jpg
    Last edited by iras; 08-02-2017 at 09:38 AM.

Add Roberts_Clif on Thingiverse
    I have good prints and I have bad prints with my Build surface. It seems that they have to be adjusted to it their own G-Spot that your printer likes.

It also helps to clean the Bed with 70% alcohol just before you print. I like the build surface it Looks better than the old Aluminum bed surface.
    However I still place Tape over the Build Surface as it is less forgiving than the build surface.

Watch my Video Here

Video was made before I purchased the Build Surface, returned because it still works better on my 3D Printer.

Did you find a solution? I'm having the same problem, but with PLA on my Wanhao i3. Worse, its with the raft which means it gets all into the print, both making it a pain to remove and look pretty crappy.

Add Roberts_Clif on Thingiverse
    You need a way to adjust he nozzle in micros millimeters. I 3D Printer a spring loaded thumb screw adjustable Proximity sensor mount, that i could turn the thumb screw to allow for micro movements. Ten you have auto home after every adjustment. until you get to the sweet spot.
    I colored coded four colors around the thumb screw adjustment so I could see how much it moved at a glance.

Before that I used the Marlin Z-Offset in change the numbers until i was at the Sweet spot.

Marlin Click menu
    Control click menu
    Motion Click menu
    Change Z Offset here
    Save changes reboot Marlin to allow reading of new settings.
    Auto Home test print if nozzle is to high of too low change settings in Z Offset accordingly.

Did this for months Until I got feed up and Ordered the Proximity sensor.