Hi guys,

Very new to 3D printing but I'm a fast learner. I'm working on a Qidi Tech 1 (FFCP clone). Really happy so far but I see where my limitations are

I'd like to improve print quality as much as I can and it seems one of the easiest things to do is purchase quality filament. However, I'm really curious as to the true cumulative effect of just using higher quality filaments on my prints. I'm looking for glossy and smooth. At this point I've purchased a couple rolls of PLA and ABS from an american company (supposedly US manufactured but not 100% sure) for about $13/kg. That's pretty cheap. I also have two rolls that came with the Qidi from China.

I've had pretty decent prints come out of it at 0.2mm layer height but obviously I have a lot of visible lines (particularly with chinese black ABS I've been using) One thing I've noticed (through photographs) is the glossier a filament is the smoother it seems to come out (before any final finish). Is this related to quality of filament purchased (I'm hoping it is to be honest. I'd love some nice glossy filament that sticks to itself really well)?

So, the question is, will I really get a MARKED improvement in print quality by purchasing higher end filament right now or is it just something I need to make sure I do when I'm getting ready to go into production? I would hate to continually try and improve print settings on something that may look much better just by getting some better filament.

Also, what's your favorite high quality brand and why? I don't need a perfectly smooth cosmetic finish but I would like to print parts that are used cosmetically without having to go crazy on final finish