TL;DR: I need empty or almost empty Cube filament cartridges, any generation and material, pls halp

Yesterday I was given two Cube printers (a gen 2 and an Ekocycle) from a fellow robotics team mentor who no longer had use for them (since one was jammed up and the other stopped recognizing the only cartridges they had for it, even though they weren't totally empty). I'm more of a DIY hacker type, so the proprietary setup 3DSystems uses bugs me, and it took me all of two hours to start getting the cartridge ROMs dumped.

The ROM chips seem to be standard Maxim 1-wire EEPROMs, and with the help of this project, I managed to get an Arduino hooked up to dump the ROMs into binary files on my computer. I'm currently combing through the ROMs to figure out what all the bytes do. The next step will be to reverse the process and write the ROMs back to the cartridges so I can set arbitrary capacity, material, and color values. If successful, I will of course share this information with everyone else,particularly robotics teams which were offered these printers at little to no cost and then left with the realization that filament is $50 for 300g.

NOW I NEED YOUR HELP. I only have PLA cartridges in a few different colors for the gen 2 printer, and I only have the two stock PETG cartridges which came with the Ekocycle. This isn't really enough to reverse engineer the ROMs. I've converted the firmware on the Ekocycle over to the Cube 3 firmware to open up the ability to use PLA and ABS, so if anyone has any old Cube filament cartridges, it would be awesome if you could either dump the ROM yourself using the above tool (or any other 1-wire tool to your liking, I don't judge), or mail me the ROM chips out of the cartridges since I'm not going to make you mail the whole thing. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Now for the caveats. I know someone is going to mention that this is amoral to be stripping a poor little engineering firm of their hard-earned profits and I'm what's wrong with this mp3-downloading generation. Look. 3DSystems has already officially discontinued support for these printers. We don't know how much longer they're going to continue offering consumables. And everyone here knows already that those filament cartridges are a complete and total ripoff, especially 3DS (they count on it). I'm not trying to make money off of this, I want to save some money particularly for the middle- and high school robotics teams which were given a great deal on these printers and then bait-and-switched once they found out how much the filament cost. This really is for the children.

I'd also like to mention that in the process of dumping the ROMs, sometimes the filament cartridges don't register again once I put them back on the Cube gen 2. I haven't figured out if it's something out of sync on the EEPROM or if I'm just not getting the cartridges seated right in the machine, but I can always get them back to working again by going through the process to install a new cartridge. Still leaning toward mechanical issue, I'm a little clumsy.

I'll post updates on this thread as they come.

-Aaron