Close

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    mate, huh? I am guessing you have the holden down there. You guys got the hsv and were finally allowed to play with the big boys. The white car is a 2008 Chevrolet Z06 Corvette. It comes with a 505hp 427cu.in. or 7.0L LS7 v8. Ferrari and Porsche have tiny little cylinders. And let me tell you when it comes to displacement, size matters. Those imports rely on higher rpm's to make power. And because of this vs. the raw displacement of American muscle the American car will always jump out in front right off the line. Personally I think the place we should all look to for the supercars is the nation that really doesn't seem to have a concern about controlling fuel consumption. I mean it took your country a while to even accept this LS7 engine. But then The Ford GT claims the world's fastest standing mile at 300mph. And Chevrolet Corvette will be taking the supercar title from Ferrari and Lamborghini and the like over the next few years as the mid engine c8 corvette comes out.

Oh after the power adder and assuming that we are only making 6psi of boost, that same 505hp engine is now kicking out 625. power adders + v8 = 20hp per psi of boost.

And those z1 doors are pretty neat.
    Last edited by AutoWiz; 07-26-2017 at 11:37 AM.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    holdens are australian - I'm english, from england :-)

Pretty sure we invented the automobile. lol

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    oh my bad. I understood mate wrong. This is probably more up your alley in defining the above car..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4CPBfpnye0

The zr-1 has a 6.2L engine with the same supercharger we are strapping to the 7.0L in the z06. With the oversized brakes the corvette z06 has we could even slow down and wave to them Ferraris and porsches as we scream by them.

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    And if you are into Top Gear, Here is what the Stig did with a bone stock Z06:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_1vTPy-wcU

You gotta respect Corvette. It is arguably America's only true sports car. It sure is the only American sports car to sustain over 60 years of continuous sales and production(with the sole exception of 1983 when they were retooling for a new body style). And unlike mustang, charger, Camaro, challenger, and all the other 2+2 and 4 seaters, the Corvette has 2 seats. So does the GT. But Ford can't sustain sales of it so they make it for a few years and then it goes away for a while. And the new ZR1 is about to be released at >750hp:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPYSVRzHV60
    Last edited by AutoWiz; 07-26-2017 at 05:10 PM.

looks like the one you've got in.
    But doesn't that engine sound rough ?
    Not a good sound.

So how's the 3d printed printer coming on ?

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    Ya man I have completely derailed my own thread here going on about my job. And all that just to say that I love my job. Ya all the stuff we build has a loud deep throated rumble to it. A lot of people like that sound. Anyways back on the printer, I printed the Y ends out with Printalicious..

The 200x200 bed of the GEEETech i3 wasn't big enough for the y ends. So if you are serious about making this you need a printer with at least a 300x200 bed. And it is important to point out that any i3 can easily be converted to a 300x200 bed.

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook

And here we can see where my threaded rods are short..

I will design 1 spacer to attach the rod to the y end and print 4 copies of it. No big deal there.

looking good.

engine noise wise. the one on the nurburgring, sounded tinny and harsh. Could be the video but it didn't sound right.

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    That track goes through residential neighborhoods and there is an allowable noise level and the 2018 ZR1 corvette at ~800hp or whatever it's making is far from quiet. So when that car wants to get out and open up on the nurburgring It has to have these silly extensions on the exhaust to help keep things quiet..

Last edited by AutoWiz; 07-28-2017 at 07:10 PM.

ah ha that makes sense.
    'cos you'd never buy a car that sounded like that for that kind of money :-)

On a side note I was parked next to a top of the range tesla the other day - 0-60 in under 3 seconds - absolutely no noise at all.
    scary for anyone who needs to cross a road :-)

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast