Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Follow Eddie On Twitter Add Eddie on Facebook Add Eddie on Google+ Add Eddie on Shapeways Add Eddie on Thingiverse

NatNet 3D Molecular Printing - Is This Legit?

I stumbled upon this site today, from a company which claims to be working on something huge. When I say "huge," I mean an advance in 3D Printing that even some of the most optimistic industry leaders would probably tell you will not be possible for another 20-30 years at best. Nat.Net claims that they are working on a 3D Molecular printer capable of printing almost anything, including a pear. Their big unveiling is only a day or two away at the Frontiers of Interaction Conference in Milan Italy on October 24 and 25th.

The website is located here: http://www.natnet.it/

Judging from their social networking presence it appears that Nat.Net is a relatively new idea/company. They have 136 Facebook friends, and just 15 Twitter followers, yet they had their Twitter account open for over 4 months now. 3D Molecular printing is something straight out of a science fiction movie, yet many scientists and futurists believe that such a device may be possible down the road. Could this company actually be working on anything close to a molecular printer? What are your opinions?

Here is a video from Nat.Net:

Personally I don't believe it. Too far ahead of their time. If this was possible, every single one of the world's problems would be solved in an instant. Not to mention, I would invest my life savings into this company.
    Abe

Follow Eddie On Twitter Add Eddie on Facebook Add Eddie on Google+ Add Eddie on Shapeways Add Eddie on Thingiverse
    I'm wondering how the Conference went today in Italy. What ever came of this? Does anyone have details about their supposed unveiling?

Well here is a bit of an u[date. The did the presentation, and here are a couple pictures. Their facebook page says everything went awesome:

1380627_10151791273034132_1017453578_n.jpg

Well here is a bit of an u[date. The did the presentation, and here are a couple pictures. Their facebook page says "Brilliant success for Nat.Net at Frontiers Of Interaction 2013!":

Here is another image released from the conference. I wish someone from this forum was there. I am intrigued, but extremely skeptical:

I've contacted them about setting up a forum for them on this site. They said they will get back to me in a few days. I'm intrigued as well.

Eddie

We know today that biological structures are at the nanoscale floppy and wiggle frantically.
    This is the reason why even with very advanced technology they cannot be directly assembled in place by nanorobotics.
    What may be possible in the not so near future is to preproduce the necessary molecules and place them appropriately at very low temperatures.

Food is the hardest to synthesize and the cheapest product by mass since it's already self replicative.
    So it's questionable wether it makes sense to synthesize just copies of existing food.
    Creating novel luxury food is another story.

What we really want are productive nanosystems aka atomically precise manufacturing systems as outlined in the technical book Nanosystems.
    There is no way this is what they are talking about here.

Taking a wild guess (which is probably wrong)
    what they may have could be a MEMS printer with a lot of material cartridges.
    Such a printer would not be able to replicate itself (specifically the nozzles).
    How far you could get to the appearant shape smell and consistency of a pear with that kind of system I don't know.

One must concede them to have coosen a clever advertisment.
    It will draw tremendous attention.

Banned
    Here is another interesting graphic they just posted to Facebook:

A pear has a rather compact code creating it - the DNA
    but every pear created by the same DNA has a different shape
    and a completely different arrangement of atoms.
    Storing one specific fully grown pear would take a ridiculous amount of memory
    1 liter = 10^24 nm^3 = around 10^26 atoms = at least 100,000,000,000 Petabit

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast