Close

Question New Tech 1 and a question about bed size

I just received and setup my new Tech 1 printer and I could not be happier. This is my third 3D printer (Two-UP and Sunhokey Prusa are the others), and this one is head and shoulders better than the other two. Right out of the box with S3D, I am getting incredible quality prints, and I really haven't started to tune the S3D settings at all, yet. I'm a happy camper.

My question relates to bed size. What is the largest glass plate folks have been able to use? I imagine that it can't be too much bigger than the built-in bed, as the heater wouldn't cover the entire glass. This might not be too much of a problem with PLA (what I mostly print), but could be a no-no with ABS, etc.. In any case, I would be very happy to know what others have done to increase the print area a bit.

TIA,
    Walt

Super Moderator
    Mine are the size of the bed. I have seen some go larger but I think heating is going to be an issue. The closer to the edge you get the more drop off in temp.

Quote Originally Posted by wirlybird View Post
    Mine are the size of the bed. I have seen some go larger but I think heating is going to be an issue. The closer to the edge you get the more drop off in temp.
    Thanks for the reply, wirlybird; that's what I thought, too. How are you holding the glass on the bed? Did you print corners for alignment? Something off Thingiverse or the like?

Super Moderator
    Add jfkansas on Thingiverse
    The physical limits of the carriage/gantry movement doesn't allow more than about 230mm by 150mm or about 6"x9".