Close

New 3D Printer Filament made from Straw

I just saw a news article about this chinese company, Jiangsu Jinghe Hi-Tech, which has developed a PLA alternative out of straw. That is dried crop straw, combined with a plastic formulation that actually prints.

It has been created because there is always an abundance of this straw material left over from farmers crops. Instead of having to burn it they can now use it to make 3D printer filament apparently. It supposedly has an earthly wood feel and is pretty cheap.

Engineer-in-Training MysteryAlabaster's Avatar
    Follow MysteryAlabaster On Twitter
    That's pretty cool.

Is the idea that this would be cheaper, or easier to make in large amounts?
    If this becomes more mainstream -finding better/easier/cheaper ways to make plastic- then that would help the industry as a whole in so many ways.

The way I look at it now, the printer was the buy-in and the filament is equivalent to a monthly subscription. If the subscription costs less, more people would be willing to buy-in in the first place.

Staff Engineer
    Straw into gold!

Wont be long before they figure how to make filament out of poop........it would be interesting for the weirdos that make adult toys....

I'll believe this when I see it. There is very little about this company anywhere on the net. Could be some sort of hoax or marketing ploy. Even if it is real, will it really hold up as well as regular PLA?

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    I'd like to try some when it becomes available.

Reminds me of the wood filaments but hopefully it will be cheaper in the long run because I struggle to justify $45-$50 a kg for the wood.

Engineer-in-Training MysteryAlabaster's Avatar
    Follow MysteryAlabaster On Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by hiram View Post
    it would be interesting for the weirdos that make adult toys
    Hey, it's a new market.

Don't blame them for finding a good way of making money with the technology they had.

Student
    This also reminds me of my latest purchased wood filament from 3d2print. Look at the colour and texture; it appears to be like wood than an alternative PLA out of straw.