Close

Suggested Temp for PLA Print?

Guys, what do you suggest to use for a temperature when printing in PLA? I've heard some people say 190c and others say 230c. Which do you use, and how do I know which one will work best?

Engineer-in-Training
    230 is definetely too hot, personally I print at either 190 or 195 and usually 200 for the very first layer.

Student
    Hmm, I have been printing at 230c with no issues. I am sure a lower temp works just as well since PLA needs to cool fast. What printer do you have catlover?

Engineer-in-Training MysteryAlabaster's Avatar
    Follow MysteryAlabaster On Twitter
    I would imagine that you could print details better at a lower temperature, and faster at a higher temperature.

A cooler temperature would have the plastic harden almost instantly once out of the heated extruder, this would allow for better printing of gaps.
    A hotter temperature would possibly allow you to print at a faster travel speed with no loss in detail because the plastic would flow through the nozzle more freely.

This is just speculation on my part.
    Please, if I am wrong, tell me.

Technician
    I'm using different temperatures also, depending on the object. For a vase for instance I want the layers in the single wall to stick really well together so I use around 210 deg.
    For work with lots of overhangs I use a temperature much lower because I want the PLA to harden up as quickly as possible, sometimes even 180 deg.
    For simple work somewhere in between, so around 190 deg. works best for me.

I print at 195 with my Prusa i3 all the time. Your mileage may vary?

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    We usually use about 190C for PLA.