Close

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
    Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by number40Fan View Post
    I brim a couple layers high helps with the corners.
    Care to explain a bit more precisely?

i think i found what you mean!
    Last edited by oxidized; 09-12-2017 at 06:52 PM.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    try 90 bed temp for abs.
    Apparently it's better :-)

Still no idea why anyone would want to use abs - got a shelf full I don't want :-)

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    try 90 bed temp for abs.
    Apparently it's better :-)

Still no idea why anyone would want to use abs - got a shelf full I don't want :-)
    Aight then, isn't it supposed to be more durable and better overall material since it's actually plastic?

plastic simply means a 'thing that can change shape and stay in the new shape'.
    All 3d printer filaments are 'plastic' :-)
    And it depends entirely on how you print and what you want.

I've had a pla bag holder (got dogs ;-) in the garden for about 3 years now - in all the wet and cold of english weather. Colour has faded slightly, but other than that it's untouched, still flexible. Abs would fallen to bits by now.

I've always found that pla parts are both tougher and more durable than abs.
    bear in mind that producers have been developing pla specifically for 3d printing for a number of years now and things are totally different than back when desktop 3d printers started to become cheap enough to be popular.

Plus pla prints sooo much easier, has much better layer adhesion, doesn't need acetone all over the place and doesn't need a heated enclosure.
    I did print almost exclusively with abs for about 6 months, we all believe the internet scuttlebutt when we start. After a tct show - where everything was being printed in pla - I switched and wouldn't go back to abs if you paid me.
    If you have a heated enclosure and get your settings perfect - abs might be worth using, though you still have to adjust dimensions for shrinkage.

But decent pla is at least as good and much better for anything that needs to be outside in all weathers. And much much better if you print in an unenclosed print volume.

Accucraft i250+’s low-noise operation, quick-load functionality, super-fast slicer and industrial-grade build quality ensure fast and reliable print-cycles. Advanced features like SD card, USB, Ethernet and Wi-Fi allow seamless connectivity and the built-in camera facilitates remote monitoring of print batches.

To know More head over to Accucraft i250+ is a professional single extruder 3D printer

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    plastic simply means a 'thing that can change shape and stay in the new shape'.
    All 3d printer filaments are 'plastic' :-)
    And it depends entirely on how you print and what you want.

I've had a pla bag holder (got dogs ;-) in the garden for about 3 years now - in all the wet and cold of english weather. Colour has faded slightly, but other than that it's untouched, still flexible. Abs would fallen to bits by now.

I've always found that pla parts are both tougher and more durable than abs.
    bear in mind that producers have been developing pla specifically for 3d printing for a number of years now and things are totally different than back when desktop 3d printers started to become cheap enough to be popular.

Plus pla prints sooo much easier, has much better layer adhesion, doesn't need acetone all over the place and doesn't need a heated enclosure.
    I did print almost exclusively with abs for about 6 months, we all believe the internet scuttlebutt when we start. After a tct show - where everything was being printed in pla - I switched and wouldn't go back to abs if you paid me.
    If you have a heated enclosure and get your settings perfect - abs might be worth using, though you still have to adjust dimensions for shrinkage.

But decent pla is at least as good and much better for anything that needs to be outside in all weathers. And much much better if you print in an unenclosed print volume.
    Got it, but being harder also makes it more fragile, anyway i agree that PLA is much better and easier to print, ABS is a big pain in the a**

Add agmtech on Facebook Add agmtech on Google+
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/QIDI-TECHNO...&keywords=qidi

Amazon.co.uk - £585
    But Currently unavailable...

Technologist
    Being harder doesn't make it more fragile, being weaker would. A lot of people don't seem to understand some of the terms when it comes to breaking or failing parts. A material can either be hard/rigid or soft/ductile, and anywhere along the scale. Think of concrete, it is hard, it doesn't bend it crumbles and cracks. Steel isn't as hard, it bends and when it fails it's usually more of a tear than a crack/crumble/shatter.

Some materials have brittle failures (hard materials, like concrete and PLA) where they shatter/crack/break violently. Some materials will bend and tear (think of metals, ABS) in what's called a ductile failure. Ductile failures are usually preferred because they aren't as dangerous or violent, and it's more of a gradual failure than a sudden one so you can fix it when it starts to show signs of failure. Note: this does not make ductile materials stronger. PLA is actually stronger than ABS.

I personally prefer PLA, it prints much better and turns out much stronger, especially when considering layer adhesion. I'm not even talking about an I3 clone, this is on my semi enclosed solidoodle 2 with a bed moving only in the z axis and a heatbed at upwards of a hundred degrees. The ABS prints break along the layers and look downright ugly compared to the quality of the PLA.

Yeah pla will snap if bent in extremis, but it's not brittle.
    If you hit it with a hammer it'll usually dent.

Part of that is how a 3d printer build things. a solid skin with a honeycombed interior will resist shattering as it disrupts the transfer of shockwaves.
    A totally solid item will have a much greater inclination to shatter as it will permit the transmission of shockwaves through the whole item.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011