Close

Price/cm3 to print in PLA or ABS?

Does anyone know that the average cost of filament is to print something, in terms of cm3 of the final product. I'm just wondering, because I see Shapeways charges about $1.75/cm3 but there are other people online that charge as little as 25 cents. What is the actual cost to the printer?

~Evan~

I've read about this on other site. It ends up being about 4-10cents per cm3 depending on where you purchase the filament from. That means that Shapeways is making a very large profit.

Marty

I charge $.30/cm3 which I feel is reasonable. I don't know specifically how Shapeways function but that extra cost might be going into a lot of maintenance and staff costs.

Follow Eddie On Twitter Add Eddie on Facebook Add Eddie on Google+ Add Eddie on Shapeways Add Eddie on Thingiverse
    What make of printers doors Shapeways use to print customers designs?

I'm almost certain they use high end printers most enthusiasts cant even afford.

Student
    They use "Damn Sexy" printers.. that's what kind they use. Haha...

Quote Originally Posted by MartinPoets View Post
    That means that Shapeways is making a very large profit.
    Yes, but you'll see it in the quality and material selection. My suggestion is to refine your design on your own printer, and then go to SW for a higher-res final.

Great discussion here! I work for Shapeways and can tell you a few things. Our printers are incredibly expensive and precise (many are over $500,000) and the majority of our products are built using powder and lasers, not filament like in a desktop printer. Our margins are also very thin, we literally do everything in our power to make 3DP as affordable as possible. The quality of our materials and the resolution we can achieve on the micron level is unparalleled by anything else in the 3D printing market.

Thanks for inquiring!

ABS Desktop Printer - $0.04 / cm3 - $500 - $5000

---

Base price, not factoring in down time, how full the build chamber is, or geometry of part.

Projet / Zcorp - Sandstone (color) - $0.25 / cm3 - $50,000 - $140,000 pending model
    EoS - nylon12 or SWF - $0.40 / cm3 - $260,000 - $600,00 pending model