Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Engineer

Will Solar Power Be Dominant in the Next 15 years?

So, this is a hotly debated topic in some circles. What are the prospects of solar power becoming the dominant energy source of this planet in the next 15 years or so. By 2029 solar power will be much cheaper than oil, and even natural gas. Will this drive a new green energy explosion? opinions?

No my friend set up about 200square meters solar power plant and in Poland there he have 3 month per year 100% eficciency and 3 months 10% eficciency. Solar isnt good idea at last in Poland

Staff Engineer
    I'm not even going to be cryptic in my predictions. Solar is never going to outpace biofuels for cost. And that's assuming there is no sociopolitical shift in views on fission power, and no advances whatsoever in fusion power.

In 80 to 150 years when we actually finally run out of fossil-based ground oil (assuming we don't find more somewhere and that our power needs keep growing steadily rather than somehow skyrocketing), sustainable biofuels will pretty seamlessly take over in almost exactly the same style powerplants that we have today.

Even if the currently most powerful country on earth adopts a political stance of using nothing but solar, the countries that stick to more efficient methods of producing power will grow to dominate the power consumption and drag the global average away from solar power.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Feign View Post
    I'm not even going to be cryptic in my predictions. Solar is never going to outpace biofuels for cost. And that's assuming there is no sociopolitical shift in views on fission power, and no advances whatsoever in fusion power.

In 80 to 150 years when we actually finally run out of fossil-based ground oil (assuming we don't find more somewhere and that our power needs keep growing steadily rather than somehow skyrocketing), sustainable biofuels will pretty seamlessly take over in almost exactly the same style powerplants that we have today.

Even if the currently most powerful country on earth adopts a political stance of using nothing but solar, the countries that stick to more efficient methods of producing power will grow to dominate the power consumption and drag the global average away from solar power.
    Biofuels basically are solar, just at one remove.

Though biofuels may get upstaged by synthetic fuels produced using solar electricity, like the "fuel from seawater" thing that was in the news and being massively misinterpreted by people a few weeks ago.

You need to be in a tropical or sunny country to get the most of your solar panels.
    The oil deposits are thinning every year, and we are destroying all the non renewable resources.
    We can't bring down the sun right? so, Solar power will be the dominant power source for the years to come.

Free energy

Add RobH2 on Thingiverse
    If the question asked had been "will solar power dominate in 5-years" I would have said no. But, I believe that we'll discover cheaper and more efficient methods of producing solar panels and collectors in the next 15-years. Before 1932 when the neutron was discovered, no one dreamed of nuclear power. In 1954 the first nuclear power plant went online, just 22-years later, and without any computers to facilitate the development curve.

Technology is accelerating at an unprecedented rate. I have no doubt that we'll be have the technology to produce more than half of our power from renewable sources in less than 15-years. The problem that exists is the infrastructure lag. While we may have the technology, it may take another 10-years before the technology has a chance to reach a large segment of the public.
    Bambu P1S/AMS
    NVision4D http://nvision4d.com

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by RobH2 View Post
    In 1954 the first nuclear power plant went online, just 22-years later, and without any computers to facilitate the development curve.
    Actually, they did have computers. They were massive electromechanical systems, like the Mark I, but they did exist and were used for nuclear work, including calculations for the first nuclear bomb designs.

I have solar panels on the roof of my house that heat the hot water so we don't need to use Gas. The 6 months of the summer my gas bill was £6.52.... due to nominal use on the cooker. So basically for 6 months of the year the solar panels provide the hot water rather than using the gas heater. As 60% of the gas bill is from heating water, rather than central heating the home, we save massive amounts of cash. Over £1000 per year........ Solar I am all for!

Engineer
    actually solar will not. it cant because even if we were able to make a 100% efficient solar panels there is not enough free space on the surface of the earth to keep the human race powered up 100%. now to put large solar collectors in orbit would be a different story but also very expensive. im trying to remember this correctly since this was something i was watching on discovery a couple years ago but to keep just the united states going at current energy consumption a solar collector in orbit would need to be the size of texas. dont get me wrong, solar is a great supplement but thats as far as it goes. only if they could ever make fusion work....one can dream i guess.
    Last edited by jimc; 05-25-2014 at 12:40 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jimc View Post
    actually solar will not. it cant because even if we were able to make a 100% efficient solar panels there is not enough free space on the surface of the earth to keep the human race powered up 100%. now to put large solar collectors in orbit would be a different story but also very expensive. im trying to remember this correctly since this was something i was watching on discovery a couple years ago but to keep just the united states going at current energy consumption a solar collector in orbit would need to be the size of texas. dont get me wrong, solar is a great supplement but thats as far as it goes. only if they could ever make fusion work....one can dream i guess.
    Huh? There is more then enough space in a small fractions of desserts of this planet alone, not to add in roof tops, marking lots, and roads.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast