Close
Flash Forge Inventor Series



Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Electric Shock

  1. #1

    Electric Shock

    Has anyone had any issues with getting shocked while printing? I've contacted Tang from Flashforge Amazon and he suggested it's the power supply..... How on earth could a bad power supply be causing electrical shock while printing?

  2. #2
    Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    6,177
    bad earth ?

    What are you getting the shock from ?

  3. #3
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    910
    Could be as simple as a pinched wire somewhere. What is the "shock" like? A tingling low voltage type like touching a 9v battery to your tongue or more substantial? If it is a substantial shock then unplug until you resolve it since it will probably go up in smoke.

  4. #4
    It's similar to a 9 volt definitely. I've posted on the thingiverse Flashforge forums and it appears that I'm not the only one........
    the shock comes from the metal screws, the metal edges where the paint is normally the thinnest on the metal body... although the insides don't seem to carry the charge... seems it's just the outside metal parts..

  5. #5
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    910
    I would say it is a bad or miss-wired power supply. Could be a pinched wire somewhere. I'd see if you can get a new supply out of them. Otherwise you're going to want to search every wire to make sure there isn't a bare spot or a pinch.

  6. #6
    Engineer-in-Training Roberts_Clif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Washington State, USA
    Posts
    305
    Add Roberts_Clif on Thingiverse
    Electrical shock can be caused by 2 wire plugs that are reversed because they have no polarity pin.
    It could be because we still have old buildings that have not been updated to 3 prong electrical sockets, and we use Adapters 2 prong to 3 prong to plug in our devices.

    If you have a two wire plug or Socket it should be replaced with a 3 wire plug or socket.
    Last edited by Roberts_Clif; 08-02-2018 at 04:48 PM.

  7. #7
    Sorry, it's been a while.. I got aggravated with the shocks and stopped using it (the power supply died too, that kinda helped me stop lol), forgot all about this thread until I searched google for my problem again and this thread actually came up.
    I replaced the power supply a couple months ago and all was good, I started using it again. Just recently it started giving shocks again.
    I checked and the house is not wired for 3 prong (it's an OOOOOLD house).. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

  8. #8
    Engineer-in-Training Roberts_Clif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Washington State, USA
    Posts
    305
    Add Roberts_Clif on Thingiverse
    What happens when you have a 2 Pin receptacle is you can plug it in wrong.
    Unplug the 3D Printer invert the plug so ground is on the other side and re-plugin the 3D Printer.
    (hot to the frame this is where you get shocked) (Inverting the Plug should put Ground to frame should not get shocked)

  9. #9
    Engineer-in-Training
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    301
    Please hire an electrician to re-wire your house for 3-prong sockets. Using a 3-prong to 2-prong adapter will not work if there is no ground in the electrical system.

  10. #10
    Super Moderator Roxy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Lone Star State
    Posts
    2,174
    Quote Originally Posted by Roberts_Clif View Post
    What happens when you have a 2 Pin receptacle is you can plug it in wrong.Unplug the 3D Printer invert the plug so ground is on the other side and re-plugin the 3D Printer. (hot to the frame this is where you get shocked) (Inverting the Plug should put Ground to frame should not get shocked)
    You are best off getting 3-prong outlets installed everywhere in the house. But if you are not going to do that...


    • Trip the breakers for the house power
    • Take the face plate off of the outlet
    • Take the outlet fixture out of the junction box- reverse the wires on the outlet fixture --- They are wrong in the current orientation!!!!
    • re-assemble

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •