Close

Benchy gaps during layer change (Pictures Included)

Hello,

I have a problem where gaps are left where a particular shell starts and ends. When I looked under a microscope, it appears the filament turns into the part. I'm using a Monoprice (Flashforge) Creator X with S3D. I've tried:

retraction (high and low)
    wipe (high and low)
    coast (high and low)
    temperature changes in 2c increments

Any thoughts? I've been working on the issue for weeks.

S20170316_001.jpg
    S20170316_005.jpg
    benchy-surface-dimples.jpg

S3D settings:

Material: Inland ABS, black
    Extruder temp: 245c
    bed temp: 110c
    extrusion multiplier: 96
    infil: 12%
    3:3:3 top: bottom: perimeter
    50% overlap
    retraction: 0.40 mm
    wipe enabled: 0.60 mm
    cooling fan: on after layer 3
    Last edited by technobabble_; 05-20-2017 at 02:13 PM. Reason: grammatical errors

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    well your retractionsnare really low. Default is 1.8mm - which after trying others is what I've gone back to.
    Monoprice don't make a creator x copy. Is it actually a creator pro clone you've got ?
    Just thinking it looks like standard abs behaviour in an unheated print volume.

Super Moderator
    Run at 230 to start. Drop bed to 100 or 95 after first layer or go down to that 1 layer at a time.
    Extrusion multiplier at 1.0
    Infill at 20%
    Reduce overlap to 25
    Retraction 1.2 at 1800mm/min to start.
    wipe and coast off.
    No cooling fan or use cautiously. ABS does not like it!

What is the speed?

Overall it isn't bad. If these settings don't improve then you can add a little extra restart length.

Thanks. From what I've read online it's based on the older Creator X. I'll try upping the retraction again, however when I do anything above 0.6mm the parts tend to fail; maybe I just need to add more restart distance?

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    well your retractionsnare really low. Default is 1.8mm - which after trying others is what I've gone back to.
    Monoprice don't make a creator x copy. Is it actually a creator pro clone you've got ?
    Just thinking it looks like standard abs behaviour in an unheated print volume.

Interesting. I'll try 230c without the cooling fan.

Quote Originally Posted by wirlybird View Post
    Run at 230 to start. Drop bed to 100 or 95 after first layer or go down to that 1 layer at a time.
    Extrusion multiplier at 1.0
    Infill at 20%
    Reduce overlap to 25
    Retraction 1.2 at 1800mm/min to start.
    wipe and coast off.
    No cooling fan or use cautiously. ABS does not like it!

What is the speed?

Overall it isn't bad. If these settings don't improve then you can add a little extra restart length.

Oops, almost forgot: Default Print Speed: 3300 mm/min

Temperature decrease and no fan didn't improve my retraction issue, but the parts look just as good, and seem to be stronger(!)

Currently I'm at 2.20 mm retraction, with 0.15 mm extra restart distance, and am still running into the same issues.