Close

Page 34 of 48 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast
    Technologist
    Quick question , I'm about to try PETG for the first time. What do you recommend for temp and speeds for a first try on the k200.

EDIT, re-read the thread. From what I can see:
    PETG: 240*/60*; 70mm/s

How about others, flex? Super flex rubber? Speeds and temps, any advice?

Thanks
    Last edited by mjf55; 10-02-2017 at 09:10 PM.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    flexible - you'll need to print slowly.
    around 20-30mm/s for polyflex or the stiffer flexible pla's
    and 5-10mm/s for the flexible tpus.

Also i've found that increasing my extrusion to 120-130% is also a good idea for the tpu's.

Temp wise, pretty much what it says on the reel. Aim for the middle of the temp range initially.

You can have the first layer at 100% and for the all the flexibles I've tried (except polyflex) you don't need a heated bed. For polyflex treat like pla at 50c.

Yeah pet-g prints alittle slower than pla and a little hotter.

Technologist
    Thanks for the guidance. I now return the control of this thread to you. (probably)

lol - pet-g temps were adjusted after discussion with amaprofessional. Currently print them at around the 225-230c mark. Apparently layer bonding is actually better at the lower temps - weird, but apparently true.

We were trying to change the wind out awning on the motorhome and I made a scraper to get under the glue on the old one. My dad managed to damage a little of the 0.3mm leading edge, but the rest is ridiculously strong.
    Also the radiator nozzles I made are as good as the original injection moulded ones.
    Even printed vertically the layer bonding was exceptional as the thin pointy end gets directly screwed into a metal thread, they were also water and pressure tight.

Made them just after the fan duct - reminds me.

So I took the he3d turbo fan duct and a turbo fan. The fan sort of pushes into the duct, but there's nothing to hold it in place and it's not a great fit. Can't see the fans staying put without something else to hold them in place.

You get the feeling that whoever is designing the he3d add-ons for the k200 and takes the pictures, has never actually used the printer or seen it working.

So going to look at other turbofan ducts and see how people are keeping the fans in place. They are an odd design.
    The only sockets on the fans are a couple of small cylinders - I'm thinking cable ties might have to be involved :-).

Technologist
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post

You get the feeling that whoever is designing the he3d add-ons for the k200 and takes the pictures, has never actually used the printer or seen it working.
    100% agree, and also without regard for the build volume. Might not be an issue for the BB ;-) , but with ONLY a 200 mm diameter, something to preserve.

Look forward to your thoughts on a design. Cable ties are fine.

Meanwhile, using the printer. Love it, Speed is incredible. Have not yet moved to PET-G yet, but soon. Too much fun with PLA.

pla is vastly underrated, I've had bird feeders and poop bag dispensers outside all year round for at least 3 years, with no noticeable degradation.

It's also the hardest of the currently available materials, so better suited for most printer parts than abs.

I still find it hard to believe that cheap decent desktop printers have only been around for 5 years (when the replicator clones started to flood out of china). When you look at how fast the industry has grown and the plethora of new materials coming out every month, it's amazing.

One of the cutest printers I saw at tct was the new mini-delta from monoprice. Only 120x110 volume, but full featured and small enough to take with you anywhere. You could probably rig it to run from a decent sized power bank or 12volt lithium battery. 90% of the stuff I print regularly would fit in that build volume.

They reckon it'll retail in the uk for around £160.
    Not even sure it's worth building one for that :-)

Technologist
    So I accidentally purchased a roll of ABS (Glow in the dark for some halloween items ) eSun. It has good reviews. Is it going to require an enclosure or will small items print ok? Not sure if I should return it..................... Have to stop buying ABS.
    Pay more attention while ordering
    ... 996 lines later

Try it.
    bed at 90c, fan off for first 3 layers, print 240.
    Calibrate really tight as well.
    It should work, and ideal for halloween :-)

Got three 300gm rolls of abs fusion at the tct. Prints fine, but is soft and incrediblt weak. No clue what i can use it for.

Reminds me, probably got some on the shelf - wonder if it still glows

Technologist
    Ok, Tried for the first time today. Used your settings, 240/90, fan off until layer 4. Skirt and initial outline failed to stick. Aborted. Cleaned green tape ( gotta change it out, its been on there too long (~ 140 M of pure printing fun ) with isopropyl alcohol and tried again. Still some skirt adhesion issues, but kept going........ Outline sticking, interior sticking.... looks like a go.

18 minutes later, my first ABS print. ( small skeleton ) pictures in a minute.

Observations:
    Takes a long time time for the heat bed to get up to temperature.
    As you previously observed, it really creeps up to the target temp, last 5 degrees really slowly.
    Heatbed cools off quickly. Most of the print it was running at 87.5*. Could not keep up. Ambient temp in house about 75*F (~24*C). Might try your foil tape insulation, or a small partial enclosure (removable ) in plexiglass. Maybe a firmware setting to help?
    I preset temp to 100. When it got to 91* ( got there faster then when set to 90 ( but you already noted this ), then started print, which overrode the preset value
    Smell of ABS is there, but not too bad.

EDIT: here are 2 pictures of my first ABS print. I'm very happy with them.
    Front:
    ABS-skeleton-front.jpg

Back: You can see in the feet that my bed is not level. I have to correct that.
    ABS-skeleton-back.jpg

The eSun ABS glow in the dark filament was a good choice.

EDIT2: Started using Octoprint as I moved the printer to it's home in my office. I like it. Easy to slice in S3D on my laptop, and then in Octoprint ( on my RPi ) upload and print file and monitor the print job. Have to get a webcam to watch it live. Very nice.
    Last edited by mjf55; 10-06-2017 at 10:59 AM.

you have to remember I use printbite, so no stick or unstick issues - tend not to think about it these days.

so what does octoprint actually do ?

Page 34 of 48 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast