Close

Page 8 of 48 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Hit a snag.
    The laser has a simple red and black two wire connector.
    The laser socket on the board has three connectors.

What's the third one for and if I stick the two wires onto a three pin connector, which pins do i stick which one on ?

Is there anywhere I can get an actual manual for the: Bt 7200V 1.8.26 Ramps plus 2 board ?

I'm hitting a complete blank on internet searches.
    Ramps 1.4.2 exists but not 1.8 or plus 2 boards.

I know it exists, I've got one and so far I'm pretty impressed by it.
    But a manual would be pretty useful, or even just the pin-outs for the laser connector :-)

Laser aside for the time being. My little 25mmx10mm fan arrived.
    Hooke dit up to the 12v fan socket on the board. Used the fan speed slider in simplify3d - yep, fan works and has variable speed and a fair bit of airflow - excellent !
    What i want to do is fit it on top of the extruder carriage, with a slimline duct going down through the gap between the arm attach sockets.

The issue is how to attach it to the extruder carriage.
    If I drill a couple of new holes I can bolt it from the bottom. Just comtemplating loading the carriage stl into openscad and doing some modifications and print a new carriage with different holes. Did contemplate adding the duct to the carriage, but that means you can't print it flat. And flat is crucial.
    Stay tuned :-)

Definitely going with redesigned carriage, and will try and make a clip on setup so the fan and duct just clip on for ease of removal, adjustment, improvement etc.

Going to be a busy night :-)

you know how difficult it is to measure amounted carriage ? very.
    So printing out a spare carriage to measure and try things out with.

Probably my biggest issue with openscad is that there is no way to measure an imported object.
    Seems like it would be a simple thing to add as the model contains that information, just needs to be a tab where you can access it.
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 06-26-2017 at 03:27 PM.

lol but I can't draw freehand, so any cad software that relies on you drawing stuff, leaves me cold. Plus I haven't found anything I can't make with openscad yet.

Where do you envisage putting your fan ? You duct has no input point. If you lay the fan flat, most of it will be blocked by the carriage.

Currently thinking about a clip built into the top of the carriage, so the fan can just clip down, standing vertically and the duct can clip onto the front of the fan. I can also stick something in the gap to keep the duct fairly stable.
    I'm thinking more about a straight shaft with an angled exit, rather than a right angle. You need to blow down towards the bed and area being printed, not just across at the tip. You also don't want the duct on the same level as the nozzle as that could interfere with prints. So it has to stop above the nozzle and blow down and slightly across.

It does help having the printer in front of you :-)

Oh yeah, even the pla carriage I knocked out last night at 0.3 layer height, 75mm/s with no cooling fan - is way better than the one it came with.

just a normal fan.
    You need to move your fan enclosure onto the actual carriage otherwise the arms will clatter into it.

You basically have the space between the hotend bolt heads and the edge of the gap to place both your fan and the shroud. The duct can go down between the arms, but even my 25mm fan is much too wide to sit that far forward.
    Which is why it's actually easier to redesign the carriage with the fan clip already in place than try and make something to attach.
    I'm also thinking about the fan and duct just slipping over the top of the fan and clipping into place somewhere (there may well end up being tiny cable ties involved :-)

Currently being mulled over in my hind brain, which does all the hard work :-) Also need it to print without supports, 'cos I've never designed anything that needed supports yet and don't intend to start now :-)
    I also want it to look cool, so some organic curves wouldn't go amiss.
    We'll see.
    One option was to make the duct and shroud out of polyflex, so i can bend the duct into place.

what's an effector ?
    I'll take some pics later :-)

lol not round here it isn't :-)

Like the design, BUT you cannot stick anything out further than the edge of the gap:

The arms come across the gap when you print at extremes.
    Now they don't come across much, so you can put fairly low things there. But not the full fan shroud.

But with it being a 25mm fan you might get away with it.
    If you make the hole cover plate 1mm thick It might fit.

Drop me the stl and I'll try it out :-)

Oh yeah, just measured fan - they sent me a 30mm after all. Despite that option being greyed out when I bought it, why I ticked 25mm in the first place.
    Go figure. Wonder how big the 30mm fans are lol

nah - bear with me.
    It will fit, you just have to think laterally ;-)
    right just about to try first fan clip that's integral to the carriage.

The fan slides in from the back. The bolt heads will lock it in.
    Just about to print a test.
    The duct will fit with pegs that push into the screw holes on the fan. Definitely going with polyflex which will make the pegs really tight.
    The back of the heat block stays cool when printing, so don't worry about duct touching it.

Once I've got the clip in the right place, and the fan's a good tight fit. I'll reinforce it and work out the duct.
    Hopefully I can move it back a little from where it is at the moment.

Just printing clip and a mm of carriage.

Going to try and make the whole thing bolt free. :-)
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 06-27-2017 at 03:00 PM.

It's an idea.
    Not sure how it would look though.

And apparently I did buy a 30mm fan. Think the 25 was on amazon and I ended up getting it from ebay.
    Looking at it the 25mm would probably be better.

Second test print underway. Previous clip was 2mm too narrow.

If I reverse the wires on the fan - will it reverse direction ?
    or melt ?
    I could do with it being the other way round, lol always the way :-)

yes but then it would blow the wrong way.
    The indentations in the fan that I'm using to lock it in place, only go 7mm deep.
    If it clips in without breaking the clip - all well and good. If not, I need to reverse the fan direction so i can turn it round and slide it into the clip :-)

Mk3 clip coming up - this one should do the trick.

The bolts lock it in nicely, can't fall out.

What is interesting, the 'live' preview on simplify3d is always ahead of the actual printer.
    As these test prints just take 15 mins, running over usb.

That's 100mm/s at 0.3 layer height, imagine what she'll do with a cooling duct !
    Might be able to risk 0.4.

Anyway that's it for tonight. off to find food :-)
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 06-27-2017 at 04:15 PM.

Page 8 of 48 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast