Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What is Stick Filament - How do you use it?

Can anyone please explain to me exactly what "Stick Filament" is, and how you can use it in place of a roll of filament on an FFF printer? Here is a diagram I found that explains it.

I assume it is just sticks of filament. Can you feed these into your printer just like you would regular filament that comes on spools, or do you need a special device or printer in order for printing with this stuff?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Engineer-in-Training
    Hmmm, I assume it is a way of using brittle filament that can't be winded in a spool so it has to be kept straight.
    From the pictures the ends of the sticks mate to form a longer segment, I suppose you then need to keep adding new sticks as the filament is fed into the hotend.

Of course that's just WAGing.

Haven't ever used it but my guess is that you keep joining the filament as it is needed. This keeps it straight and doesn't bend and break it. You may want to email the company that sells this stuff. I'm sure they could give you a better answer.

Derek

Engineer-in-Training
    I went to their website and one feature of this format for the filament (how's that for alliteration?) is that it's possible to join different colours together, not easy to control where the colours would blend in the print but it can give some interesting results.

Engineer-in-Training MysteryAlabaster's Avatar
    Follow MysteryAlabaster On Twitter
    I imagine the only problem with using this with the printers I have experience with is that when feeding the filament, something squeezes it to get enough traction to push it down. I would imagine that the point at which the two sticks meet would be a weak point and possibly break and end up clogging your machine...

Just a thought.

I agree with Mystery. I haven't tried it, but this would seem like a possible issue. Other issue is if you don't push it in far enough. Wouldn't the printer print without filament if there is a large space between the two pieces?

Quote Originally Posted by FFowner View Post
    Wouldn't the printer print without filament if there is a large space between the two pieces?
    Yes, it would.
    There is no printer out there as far as I know that can detect when there is no filament being extruded.

Here is a good video showing Stick Filament being used on a spool. very interesting concept.

Is there a way I can get this in 1.75mm?

Or, alternatively, is there a way I can use 3mm filament with a 1.75mm extruder?

Quote Originally Posted by MysteryAlabaster View Post
    Is there a way I can get this in 1.75mm?

Or, alternatively, is there a way I can use 3mm filament with a 1.75mm extruder?
    No. I mean maybe you could get it to fit depending on your exact extruder but you will have to modify all your settings and for the most part you need to change out some hardware.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast