Close

123D Design is Updated by AutoDesk for Desktop 3D Printing! (version 1.4)

This is great news in my opinion. Autodesk just updated 123D Design for the desktop to Version 1.4. It can be download at http://www.123dapp.com/design. There is also an online version that works quite well.
    According to the guys at 123D design, it's mostly a graphic update which has made the graphics look a lot more crisp. However, there were also a lot more updated features and added features.

Here is the basic changelog

• A new UI introduces similar look and feel with other products from the 123D family, like Tinkercad.
    • Easier access to all of your models and projects, regardless of the app you made them in. MyProjects provides access to models created in 123D Catch, 123D Make and 123D Creature.
    • Support for opening, inserting, and saving meshes in STL and OBJ formats.
    • Perform Combine, Subtract and Intersect operations between meshes and solids.
    • New option for combining objects on STL export in order to support printers that read first body only.
    • Import SVG files and use them as sketches or as simple extrusions.
    • Drop selected objects to the grid with a simple key (F10).
    • Added option for hiding grid.
    • New toggle for enabling or disabling implicit grouping when snapping between parts.
    • New option for defining snapping increments for different operations.
    • 3D Print now sends model to Meshmixer for processing before 3D printing.
    • Premium members can now download unlimited models from 123D Content Library.
    • Free members can now download up to 10 models a month.
    • A brand new car! (Just kidding)
    • Stability fixes on Copy-Paste.
    • Performance and stability bug fixes.
    • Support for 3dconnexion devices.
    • Shortcut Keys on F1.
    • Feedback Survey directly in app under Help.
    • Also includes updates for 123D Premium members, and bug fixes.

I love how now 3D Print sends your model to Meshmixer for processing. That should be very helpful.

Has anyone had a chance to try out the new version 1.4? I'd love to hear your feedback.

Vince

Engineer-in-Training
    I haven't tried the new version, I tried the previous one and I found it infuriatinly cumbersome to do stuff with it because they removed the use of shortcuts; I believe they crippled it in that regard compared with previous versions to make it "tablet friendly" by removing keyboard shortcuts so to do any operation you need to chase around a floating icon to open a menu to look for what you want to do and by then I'm not having any fun anymore.

It looks great, has really nice tools, but personally I find it aggravating at a very basic usability level.

Engineer-in-Training MysteryAlabaster's Avatar
    Follow MysteryAlabaster On Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainObvious View Post
    I find it aggravating at a very basic usability level.
    I have to agree here. I have classmates who have used and loved this program for one reason or another, but personally I feel like it's just hard for me to make some really simple things because it's so complicated.

I use Tinkercad for most of my projects, switching to Autodesk Inventor 2014 when I need to make a part for something.