Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Kapton tape with no adhesive

I accidentally bought Kapton tape for our work printer, and it does not have adhesive backing. The printer is a MakerBot Replicator 2X. Is there anyway to get it to adhere to the build plate? Really don't want to waste $120 in tape.

Banned
    Smitty35 wish I could help. I don't really know how you would do this without leaving behind residue. Can you return the tape?

Unfortunately I did not find out until I opened it.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty35 View Post
    I accidentally bought Kapton tape for our work printer, and it does not have adhesive backing. The printer is a MakerBot Replicator 2X. Is there anyway to get it to adhere to the build plate? Really don't want to waste $120 in tape.
    I personally would buy some $2 spray glue. You can buy it at most bargain stores or art shops. It's meant for spraying under carpet and stuff but I bet you $10 it will stick kapton to aluminium as its meant for flooring. I sprayed it under lino on a metal floor and it stuck like glue, so maybe give that a go?

wow.. kapton tape without adhesive, it sort of has some promise to it - considering how much pain it is to get on with adhesive, you might (as someone else here suggested ) apply it like a vinyl sticker? spray the glue and scrape it on with a soft card to remove the bubbles. If you get stuck put it on ebay and ill buy it off you cheap

I thought about spray glue, but I'm not sure about removing it from the build plate after it has been used, and being able to avoid lumps.

Technician
    Are you sure the Kapton doesn't have adhesive backing? I'm only asking because I remember thinking the same when I received my first order.
    Also because Kapton is really thin and to my knowledge always sticky on one side so I'm wondering how you got the stuff delivered?

It has no adhesive. It's thinner then the sheets that came with the printer. It was ordered from Granger.

Technician
    Did you mean Grainger? I can't find it on the website, would you mind sharing the link? I'm curious about the stuff you bought.
    Like Geoff mentioned, spray glue might be your best option, you could use some kind of solvent to remove the glue from the build plate after use.

Grainger item number 15C537.

Technician
    I see, never knew you could buy that big rolls of Kapton, I have to keep that site in mind.
    I'm sorry I couldn't be more helpful...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast