Hi Folks, I'm new here and new to 3D printing. I've been contracted to do a complex model in N (1/160th) scale for the New York State Bureau of Historic Sites. I have to make architectural models with a high degree of surface detail - imagine buildings that are roughly 1 to 2 inches tall where you can see doors, windowpanes, siding lines/grooves, shingle patterns and so on.

I want to but a 3D printer and can't spend much more than $1200 - preferably less. Here are the features that are most important to me:

Resolution: I would prefer a Z resolution that is under 100 microns. 50 would be fine, 20 ideal - I know that limits the choices but I have seen some affordable printers that can do under 100

Reliability! This is crucial. This machine needs to work reliably for at least 5 months and print maybe 50 to 100 pieces. Of course I'd like it to last longer - but it really needs to get me through this job.

Must do ABS. PLA is biodegradable, and this model needs to last for many many years.

Print size - I could get away with maybe 5" X 6" X 5" for this job, but naturally I'd prefer bigger if I can get it.

I don't care much about bells and whistles like WiFi connectivity and I'm not too worried about print speed. I also am pretty mechanically inclined and not afraid of some assembly, as long as the finished product is reliable.

What would you recommend?

There's one specifc brand that caught my eye - the Ultimaker Original +. Saw it advertized at $899 - a well established brand name - I think it will do 20 microns IIRC - assembly required and apparently parts of the frame are wood (which is probably why it's affordable). Any opinions on this machine?

Thanks so much to anyone who can advise me - I have to admit I'm really worried about this. I need to get this choice right on the first try.

Thanks again!