Close

Strange problem with printing

Hello!
    I havn't been using my printer for a few weeks now and recently I bought a new filament (PET). It prints just fine, layers are perfectly constant without any gaps, hovever, the paths of filament are strangely thin, as a result i got strainer-like item. what should I do first and what is the problem?

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    try printing at either a slower speed or a higher temperature.
    Or both :-)

I'd go for too low printing temp.
    Plus pet-g printed cool is actually weaker than pla and has layer seperation issues if you flex it.
    Actually had a piece of pet-g flake off and hit me in the face. The same part in pla flexes better and doesn't shoot bits at me.
    So next time I use the pet-g I will be upping the printing temp by at least 15c.

I'm not sure about higher temperature. I would use PET (not PET-g) some time ago and it was my preferable material because it was easy to print and quite flexible. I was printing it at 235-240c but now it was not enough. I turned it up to 250 but leter I decided to use 246c and it was ok I think. I'll try to reduce speed but I'm thinking about comparing it with second extruder and see what to do next.

Follow ralphzoontjens On Twitter Add ralphzoontjens on Facebook Add ralphzoontjens on Shapeways Add ralphzoontjens on Thingiverse
    PET has a high surface friction. If you are using a Bowden tube it can be that the friction prevents extrusion so you will need a higher flow.
    With PLA the same stringing can occur when the temperature is too high, then the filament forms droplets and comes out like a bead string.

pet is very different to pet-g.
    so can't really compare the two.

I think I found the problem. I have no idea why but the build plate goes down a little every time when heated. I just decided to level it just after canceling the print which went bad. Build plate was too low which was strange due to a fact that i've leveled it about two days ago. I believe it's fine now.

yep. Hotter the buildplate the quicker it goes out of true.
    yet another reason I stopped using abs :-)

With mesh patterns you can make so much nice things! For example, i have built dollhouse for my daughter. It turned out so beautifully, she even wrote about it in her blog - casestudywriter .