Close

Engineer

Practical home use of 3D printing?

I have had a 3d printer for 2 years. started with a makerfarm i3v kit and then later custom made myself a corexy openbuilds machine.
    I enjoy tinkering/building but once the printer was tweaked and done. I really have no need to use it. I have made a few little odds and ends to help fix something but it has sat idle for 4 months.

What practical home use application have you found for your 3d printer?

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    I make a lot of stuff for round the house.
    Also stuff for friends who turn up with a bit of broken pastic and say: 'can you make one of these'.

Adaptors, brackets fair bit of stuff for my dads shooting.
    Last project was a stand for a 400 year old carved coral sling bullet I got from a guy from guam at the recent international slingers convention in mallorca.
    Made a laser engraved plaque insert as well. It's made from colorfabbs wood filament.
    Not the best picture as I was using my tablet. It's not slanted either that's just one of thoise perspective things:

There's generally something that needs designing or fixing.
    Next project is a colostomy bag holder for a friend's partners wheelchair.

I've made stuff going from small battery compartment covers for my dads hand warmers - so far the only thing I've had to use a support with - all the way up large rubber bungs for my mates new roof gutter system and heavy duty telescopic legs for a wooden garden trough that had to go on a slanted bit of garden.

Also made some crumb scrapers for the local tech college restaurant - they've all gone 'walkabout' despite my putting the restaurant name on them. So they need some more of those.
    The second batch they'll have to pay for :-)

There's a distinct lack of commercial jobs, but on the domestic front there's always something to keep openscad and my brain working :-)
    And the way I figure it the more people around here who know what I can do, the more chance there is of a decent paying job turning up eventually.
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 03-23-2017 at 06:42 AM.

Follow ralphzoontjens On Twitter Add ralphzoontjens on Facebook Add ralphzoontjens on Shapeways Add ralphzoontjens on Thingiverse
    Hi,

There are many practical uses for 3D printing, for example Pinshape.com has a lot of great design work.
    This is my most recent print:

https://pinshape.com/3d-printed-obje...ning-soap-dish

The part was finished using polyester filler, lots of sanding, spray painting and coated with XTC3D resin.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    The part was finished using polyester filler, lots of sanding, spray painting and coated with XTC3D resin.
    lmao - the 3d printing part seems a little redundant ;-)

Follow ralphzoontjens On Twitter Add ralphzoontjens on Facebook Add ralphzoontjens on Shapeways Add ralphzoontjens on Thingiverse
    I know, well it's a good structure, but then I went all crafty on it to prepare for bathroom use.
    My girlfriend has an IKEA-like tolerability with 3D printed objects - only a certain percentage of it is allowed per room.
    Only a few 3D printed objects, like vases, are especially nice to put in interiors. We also have printed lots of food molds over the years.

That is a nice piece by the way, the laser engraving works well.