Close

Page 6 of 36 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Technician
    I have been building PCs forever, too, but not many since they last so long. :-) Lucky for me I have never had a mobo failure... and the worst part of that, if you are on Windows, is maybe having to buy another license for a "new PC". Thanks for the drag chain explanation!

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by raylo32 View Post
    I have been building PCs forever, too, but not many since they last so long. :-) Lucky for me I have never had a mobo failure... and the worst part of that, if you are on Windows, is maybe having to buy another license for a "new PC". Thanks for the drag chain explanation!
    I try to do everything on a big scale so I can learn more from it. When I started building pc's I built up to 4. Then I started hosting small scale lan parties at my home on the weekends. Nothing for money or anything. just some friends getting down on borderlands 1 and 2 each with their own screen. It was fun. Here is a picture from when the dead board was new. The white and orange box in the background behind the Novint Falcon on the right is the retail packaging for it..

And speaking of orange box, that was the games that were best to work with the novint falcons with the pistol grips half-life 2, team fortress 2 and portal. I still have them but they collect dust. The 3d force feedback mouse is a great idea but the support for it wasn't there. or it was too far ahead of itself. I got into making my own cases and cooling setups..

I built pc's. Back in those days there were awesome websites like frozencpu.com and crazypc.com and others where you could find any fan or filter or duct or light or feet or heatsink or tubing or anything your heart desired for building your own.
    Last edited by AutoWiz; 09-22-2017 at 08:36 PM.

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    One of the whole joys of 3d printing is now I can make custom parts for my pc's. like this..

and this..

Technician
    Still good websites for building, but every time I decide to do a build the hardware has changed so much I need to research it all again. My 4 year old gaming/3D PC still runs on a few generations old OC'ed i7 920 at about 4 GHz, still plenty good enough, still chugging along.

BTW, Portal and Portal 2=cool game!

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    Because the plate of glass was the exact same size as the heatbed it was painfully simple to make a mounting solution that wouldn't interfere with the build envelope..

Aside from not interfering with the build envelope the printer looks so much better than it would with those spring clips everybody always uses. There is nothing on the glass and nothing sticks up above the glass..

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    The above mounts for the glass are one of the few pieces of this awesome machine that I designed myself. So for any other Black Widow owners that might see and like these mounts here is a link to the .stl file for them: https://lookaside.fbsbx.com/file/BW%...ouGEuXyv20Q4NA

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    So to keep from draping a wire across the entire length of the x axis I decided to just mount the x endstop in the max position on the wire harness side of the frame. I did this back when I built the printer and have struggled with mirrored prints the whole printers life. I would just mirror the item before slicing it for this printer as a temporary fix. It took a little bit of trial and error to get the settings right as information on homing to max endstops seems to be rare. But I did finally get it right and on my own. here is a video of my black widow homing with only a max endstop on the x axis:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veQp-ANKWKE
    Last edited by AutoWiz; 10-05-2017 at 09:46 PM.

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    I have been making changes to this printer and so i wanted to update this thread. First and foremost here is my current extruder setup..

I am so happy to have finally found a layer fan that blows all the way around the filament. and this setup keeps the bltouch very close to the hotend for better accuracy. Now I just have to do something about that z belt. If I make the belt too tight it flexes the threaded rods and they bind. If I leave the belt loose half way or so up it skips on one side. Not always but a real PITA when it does it. So I have decided to do away with the belt and convert to dual Z motors. I will upload pictures as that moves forward.

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    I printed these mounts from thingiverse that are supposed to be a bolt on thing to convert a stock Black Widow..But I have made changes to my printers frame with different ends and moved the belt to the top of the frame. This is not what those printed parts were meant to bolt up to..
    Last edited by AutoWiz; 06-28-2018 at 12:08 AM.

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    With all the covers off we can see the belt system that I hate so much..There are 4 original anodized end caps for this printer I am not using. they make the perfect shims and leave me only needing longer bolts..I will get another roll of translucent red and reprint and maybe even design end caps that can be 1 piece without shims. But that's all after we achieve functionality with the stated goal of 2 Z motors. The extra TMC2208 driver is on its way. As with a pair of 0.9 degree stepper motors that I will put on X and Y and use one of what comes out as my second z motor. and couplers.

Page 6 of 36 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast