Close

Page 20 of 36 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
    Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    Intel core I7-8700k, Asus Maximux hero X wifi mobo (the mobo natively supports water cooling!), Samsung 1TB m.2 pro ssd, Nvidia gtx 1080ti, 4x8(32)gb rgb g.skill ddr4 ram, and it is driven with a 1000 watt power supply. And the video card is connected to a curved 27" Asus ROG G-sync gaming monitor with 1ms response time and 2560x1440 res @ 165hz. That monitor is not included in the cost of building the rig. But it did cost a chunk on it's own. But holy cow, it'll bring a tear to your eye just to look at it.
    Last edited by AutoWiz; 11-27-2019 at 09:41 PM.

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    Hey so with 5 spools of filament and the filament buffer, this printer now has a rather large footprint..

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    So no ryzen processor then :-)
    Oh well, lol
    I haven't built an intel system since the first amd 486 processor came out, 30 years ago ? Something like that.
    Faster, cheaper, more reliable and the new 7nm processors piddle on intel from a great height. Hell even the ryzen 3 benchmarks faster than most current i7's.
    Intel are the apple of the processor market - they have a huge marketing campaign, but don't invest as much in manufacturing as amd/ati.

Anyway, so next you need a back frame to lift the spools up along the back of the printer, that'll reduce the footprint and reduce the filament drag on the spools.

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    At the time I built this machine AMD was getting into trouble for misadvertising the amount of cores in their processors and one day I got a check in the mail out of nowhere for my 8 core FX-8370 processor I bought a few years back. If that has changed then it is just the fluidity of the industry we are in. But so far as I always understood it Intel and Nvidia are where people went for the better quality and the folk who wanted to save money went with amd and radeon. Despite current benchmarks we should all wait and see what comes out next. Be it a better chip from intel or another class action lawsuit. One single product release does not undo decades of back and forth and Intel coming out on top. That is just us getting caught up in the moment I think. But time will tell. For now, why not go read this 411 about my paycheck from nowhere: https://www.theverge.com/circuitbrea...ulldozer-chips

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    I most definitely need to find a way to shrink this down. The trick is keeping the filament buffer and the MMU2S moving with those tubes up and down 330mm. There is a better solution for this. I like your idea of a back frame.

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    So I went to GitHub and got the latest firmware for the new Bigtreetech TFT35 v3.0 and I must say I am impressed. I can enter Gcode directly from the small touchscreen..

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    And there are menus for auto leveling now, too..

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    Here is the home screen on my new multi material rig..

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    that's pretty cool.
    Seems like the screens are doing almost as much as the motherboards these days.

I thought the mumu just fed the extruder on the printer - didn't realise it had to move around as well !
    But you 'could' build a simple up and down frame seperate from the printer, though if you have a direct drive extruder on the printer itself - why does the mumu need to move about ?

As far as processors go - both intel and amd do the cores with double threads thing.
    As far as performance goes - amd have always been ahead.
    What intel do is they pay the big manufacturers a lot of money to use their processors. At one point if you used intel cpus intel were paying 50% of all your advertising costs that mentioned 'intel inside'.

To be fair I have built a few intel machines recently actually.
    Got some unused mini-itx boards that had been removed from unsold computers. So all brand new kit, but second hand.
    The board, 4gb of ram and an i3 cpu were £25 delivered :-)
    The boards are mini network server boards and when new - the board alone - would have been in excess of £100.
    So the 'server' that runs my k40 laser is made from one and my current workshop disk cloning, data recovery machine, also uses one and I built a cheap base unit for a client with one as well.

Since amd stopped making the am1 cpus - my previous source of cheap mini-itx systems - this is the best deal I've come across.

But over the years I've seen and benchmarked thousands of machines and amd always come out best both for speed and reliability.
    Ati cards do tend to be faster than nvidia and run cooler - but the nvidia software has always been a lot more stable. So On average for good graphics cards I generally go for nvidia.
    But for normal useage the ati on chip graphics is much better than the intel on motherboard chipsets.

I've always found it interesting that amd have never advertised - well at least not that I've ever seen :-)
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 12-03-2019 at 05:55 AM.

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    I am past the software and basic calibrations of my machine. I am now working on reworking the filament buffer. I want mine to be clear so I can see the filament. But also I need mine to grow a bit as my ptfe tube from the mmu2s to the extruder is still longer than on the Prusa machine. Also I want mine to be easier to load filament into. My filament buffer will come out something like this: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3681588/files

Page 20 of 36 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast