Close

Page 25 of 36 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Ah right it's a shelf.
    Umm so why did it take so long ? And why such a dense infill. you could have got away with 10% on something that large no problem.
    What speed did you print it at ?
    I mean if after all this work you're still only printing stuff at less than 100mm/s - was it worth it ?

You've got stepper motors both ends of the cables - so you should be able to speed things up considerably.

I do get that you just like improving things - but there must be some kind of point to it. And in 3d printing surely faster is the main thing to shoot for ?

Hang on a minute....
    Right - so at the same layer height and 10% infill and 150mm/s that print would probably clock in at around 25 hours.
    And that's without adding in the cylindrical voids.
    Okay - weird, the circles slow things dow to around 30 hours.
    Printing at 0.4mm knocks it back down to 24 hours.

So presumably you were printing at 75mm/s ?

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    The MMU2S does have its own board with its own stepper drivers integrated. But the board connects to the mainboard via i think uart? it needs rx and tx pins connected. And the SKR 1.4 only has rx and tx pins for the tft socket. So I have connected the dual mode screen's exp 1 and exp 2 connectors to the skr 1.4 and now the skr 1.4 is driving a lcd12864 and has the tft connector open. So now i can connect the MMU2S rx, tx, and reset pins to the tft port on the skr mainboard and get this multi material party started. Which i am doing this evening. As we speak, in fact.

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    OMG. I am here. I have the mmu connected. I have the firmware setup and it finally built without error and I got it loaded into the Multi Widow and check out the new menu option for the lcd12864.. I have some calibration stuff to do because of the different length PTFE tubing and stuff. But I am right here. And it is good. Because I really want to dig into my diamond hotend build so I can have and compare 2 different forms of multi material printing.

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    The clock is against me. It took a little time to get the settings right in marlin. But i finally got everything up and working from the lcd12864 and I was able to load and unload all 5 filaments. I had a half used spool of black pla to stand in for the missing fifth spool of PETG. So here is my home made clear filament buffer in action..

But it is after midnight. I have to be at work at 8am. I can not start a print now. So if all goes well, tomorrow after work I will print my first 5 color test cube. I am so excited. I built this a little while ago, now.

But it is after midnight. I have to be at work at 8am.
    lol - damn that has to be frustrating :-)

Looking forward to the results. if you can use 5 different materials - bugger the speed :-)
    That's just really cool.

I guess pet-g would be best as it needs slow anyway and prints around the same temp as soluble support filament.

Okay that was a week ago now - did it work ???????????????????????????????????????????

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    I am totally with you on the speed thing. I really just wanted to do this last rework to each printer to clean up the wiring as much as humanly possible, brace the axes as much as possible, and make them all look like they belong together. I very much want to see how fast they can print. My Geeetech i3 printer now called 'Old Blue' is waiting for a new mainboard as I burned the one in it connecting the 5015s fan polarity backwards for a while. And Printalicious is pretty much done but waiting for a set of tmc2209 uart drivers and a clone MK3S magnetic spring steel heated bed assembly. All parts are coming from https://www.biqu.equipment/ and I ordered them back at the start of march. It sucks I am waiting so long but one day they will arrive. As for Big Red here I have gotten so far but am having problems. I made a video and uploaded it to youtube that illustrates my current problem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iICQ8sENQJs&t= . I am currently chasing this problem and welcome any ideas for a solution.

Technologist
    Can you post the gcode somewhere? Maybe there's some kind of configuration issue with the purge lengths or something. During the initial purge moves it shouldn't move the extruder backwards AFAIK. I haven tried Prusa Slicers multi-material support for a while so I can say it's not meant to do that, though... I'll see if I can get Prusa Slicer configured for my 6-color machine, at least try so I can see how it does things.

makes some horrible noises and that big lump at the end of the filament isn't good either. could easily get stuck in the hotend.

The extruder is jamming.
    Looks like the feed path has issues, the mumu clearly thinks it's working.
    I'd strip the extruder down and check all my bits of ptfe were in the right place.

Either that or the filament is being held by the mumu and not allowing the extruder to actually feed it into the hotend.

The complicated bit is working :-)

Technologist
    Ah yes, looking the end of the filament on the video, it's quite bad. Might get stuck on the heatbreak and MMU is detecting tha it's not feeding and backing it away? This is quite common problem with single nozzle - multi extruder setups, some filaments are worse than others and need some tuning to get working properly. There's different methods to get a better tip, I think that there's a custom version of Prusa Slicer that has more options for this...

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    Spegelius and Curious Aardvark thank you for your input. I am forced to take a brief pause on this while i resolve getting the ptfe tube actually mounted to the titan aero extruder. The ptfe tube that runs from the MMU2S to the extruder needs to be attached with a quick connect coupler on either end. I have to overcome this obstacle before i can move forward. I have ordered some different couplers and a solid metal titan aero idler arm from amazon. I already have the all metal idler arm and hopefully the couplers will arrive in the next few days and i will drill and tap the idler arm to receive the coupler. The unload movement uses the extruder's drive gear to push the filament back and the MMU2S takes the drive gear away from that filament so it is free spooling and can do what the extruder gear wants the filament to do. This unloading movement because it is pushing on the filament it drives the ptfe tubing out of the plastic idler arm nearly every time. Hot glue helps but is hardly professional and in my video fails anyways. I hope to report back my success with the ptfe tube mounting by the start of the week. Thank You both again for your interest, time, and consideration. I don't wanna be 2 for 2 at failing chasing multi material printing. I gotta get this right.

Page 25 of 36 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast